Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Clark

Dave Clark

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:36 PM

Hi,
Don't know why but Windows Explorer keeps freezing the computer and I have to use Task Manager to close whichever folder caused the problem. I have scanned for malware with SuperAntiSpyware & Mbam but no problems were found. Can anyone tell me what to look for or try, as I'm at's my wit's end.

Regards,

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:42 PM

Can you please describe the problem in detail? EXACTLY what causes what to happen?
Also, What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#3 Dave Clark

Dave Clark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:14 PM

Hi Allan,
I'm back again!
Hope your well.

I downloaded a couple of TV episodes in .avi format and when they downloaded I moved them from the download folder onto my desktop ready to transfer them to my iPad, but as soon as I open the folder and either right or left click on either of the .avi files then explorer freezes. I have run A/V programs and all seems well, and I can open and play the .avi files with VLC no problem. Other folders seem fine. One other thing I've noticed though just recently is that sometimes when I've opened then closed a folder which is on my desktop the desktop then glitches for a second but that's it.

Regards,

Dave

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:22 PM

Were the files downloaded from a legitimate site or is there some chance that they are infected files (I read what you said about scanning them, but I'd still like to double check)

Also, do the files have long or unusual names?

Last, are you willing to delete them if we can figure out a way to do that?

#5 Dave Clark

Dave Clark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:39 PM

Hi Alan,
They are from a site that I've used a lot and would be very suprised if they were infected, however anything is possible. Since your last post I tried again and all I have to do is open the folder I created for the files on my desktop and explorer freezes. I'm now in the process of running the files through RER video converter, but still saving them as .avi files but saving them to a new folder on the desktop. The first file is nearly finished and I opened the new folder no problem so as soon as it's finished I'll let you know what happens, if all OK then I will try to delete the problem folder.
Just as I was typing the first avi file has finished and I can open the new folder no problem so I will try the same with the second file then try to delete the problem folder and get back to you.

Kind regards,

dave

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:44 PM

Okay good. Here's a trick to delete the files if you have problems doing so in Explorer. Close Windows Explorer and open Notepad. In Notepad, click on Open, navigate to the file in question, right-click on it and delete it.

#7 Dave Clark

Dave Clark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:50 PM

Many thanks for the tip Allan,

Will try that to delete the avi files when finished.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:54 PM

Looks like you helped yourself more than I did, but you're welcome. Post back if any more issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users