Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 unknownproblem

unknownproblem

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:19 PM

Hi all,

I've had numerous, unidentified problems going on with my laptop lately that I have decided would be best fixed by doing a clean install of Windows/restoring my factory settings. Please note that I have never successfully achieved either, so I would appreciate the simplest explanation and possibly a tad of patience, please. :huh:

I have a HP G62 laptop, that had Windows 7 pre-installed. I did not receive any disks with it, nor did I make a backup when I first bought it which I now realise I should have.

I don't know what I need to be able to do this, or where to get it. The only 'disc' I have is the system repair that can be made through Control Panel, however when I boot from it, non of the options seem to be what I'm looking for? I'm not fussed about the "bloatware" that came with my HP laptop initially, as I said, restoring it to factory settings would be just as good.

Thanks for all your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:29 PM

Try hitting f11 on bootup. This should bring you to the HP recovery console.

:thumbsup:

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#3 unknownproblem

unknownproblem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:35 PM

Try hitting f11 on bootup. This should bring you to the HP recovery console.

:thumbsup:

I appreciate this tip, however I need something much more detailed than that. I mean, Googling HP F11 takes me here: http://h20331.www2.hp.com/hpsub/cache/312352-0-0-225-121.html but I have no idea which I should be doing? :huh:

#4 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:45 PM

When you hit f11 the recovery console will appear. It will ask you if you want to backup user files or not. That is entirely up to you.

After that the process should be pretty straight forward. I will be here for the next hour so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

EDIT:

I applogize that I cannot provide a more detailed response but HP does not provide any kind of guide for their recovery console.

Edited by Newb4Life, 13 July 2011 - 03:46 PM.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#5 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:16 PM

Unknownproblem: This site may be able to help you recover the OS: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02638587&tmp_task=useCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4308554#N81
Is there any way you can create a restore disc using the HP utility?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users