Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes, possible video card problem?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Warped55

Warped55

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:09 PM

Hi there Bleeping computer, g'day to you all!

My ASUS Essentio Series desktop has been having some strange freezes lately, and it has me baffled. The first crash came while I was watching YouTube on Google Chrome, and had Team Fortress 2 running in the background, on the main menu while I looked something up. The computer froze and became apparent immediately, as there were several multi-colored bars on the screen (Photo has been attached, see below).

The second time, happened while I was playing Team Fortress 2 actively, about 30 minutes in, with the same bars, though the colors may have changed, I'm not sure. I had Google Chrome open in the background, though no videos from YouTube had been running at the time. Now whenever I turn on my computer, it will usually freeze within 2-10 minutes which is much shorter than when it first started 2 days ago. However, the strangest part is that the colored bars no longer show up after the second time it happened. The whole screen completely freezes, in which even the cursor will not reply to input.

I read online about how people had suggested updating drivers, so I tried launching in safe mode, which seemed to have worked, though I couldn't really test the graphics card as I couldn't exactly run anything to test my graphics card as Minecraft wouldn't run with the safe mode drivers, and I couldn't get on Steam. Regardless, the computer stayed working, so I chalked it up to drivers.

After a quick trip to Windows Device Manager I discovered I already had the most up to date drivers, so I just uninstalled them (after creating a restore point) and then rebooted in crappy base driver quality. When I went to reinstall them, it said it was already installed, and just needed to reboot again, which I complied thinking it was just automatic, and had my old resolution back. However, it froze again about a minute after starting Steam, though I had started it pretty much right away.

Frustrated that it was not drivers, I restarted in Safe Mode with Networking and hopped onto another computer nearby to type this. When I went back to the other computer a few minutes later, I had found it once again froze, though this time on the login screen. Thus this leaves me pretty certain I must work under the case on this one.

My PC is an ASUS Essentio CM5570 desktop. I've had some troubles with this before, which lead me to replace our HDD about 3-5 months ago due to corruption. We've had this computer about 2 years, and it's used mostly for gaming, especially now in which it usually accumulates 11 hours a day between all of the users. the full specs can be found *here*, as I'm not sure what would be vital for you to know. Just note that the HDD has been replaced by a 1TB Seagate Barracuda, and has been running fine.

Attached File  Computer Crash.jpg   473.51KB   6 downloads (Note: This is of the second crash)

EDIT: After running Safe Mode w/ Networking again, it crashed and flipped to a BSOD before rebooting. I think the message was something like "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area", or at least after googling what I could remember, that seemed right. I tried again in SMw/N and it ran for 10 minutes before freezing with no BSOD.

After ANOTHER reboot, the "ASUS" screen in the BIOS looked all screwy, like it was scrolling endlessly and had artifacts perhaps all over. It froze there and I shut it off, mostly due to me being scared. Pic is below.

Posted Image

Edited by Warped55, 13 July 2011 - 04:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwrealing

jwrealing

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:35 PM

Is this onboard Graphic or Graphic card? What model ATI (now AMD) or is it Nvidia. When was the last time you cleaned out the computer i.e. got a can of Air and cleaned out some of the dust Bunny's, post alittle more about your System spec. What are your temps, as over heating can cause this so down load a program like Speccy or boot into your BIOS and watch what your temps for the CPU reach after about 10 minutes, it would be nice to know what your Graphic temp are, that is if you have a Graphic card and not on board. Don't rule out the divers as you might have to roll back to an older one. If you can, run dxdiag.exe and save info. and post it here, as well as your Temps and more info on your system.

I checked on line about your computer, is it a AP006 or AP002? Look! Build your own computer. It might cost a little more or less depending on what you what and if you find what you what is on sale. It really isn't that hard, plus you will know right away what might be your problem. After looking at the spec on your computer. I think you might have more problems then just cleaning. over heating, or drivers. But we or you can still try and fix it.

Edited by jwrealing, 13 July 2011 - 10:07 PM.

#3 Warped55

Warped55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:01 PM

Well, it's an integrated chip, an intel G45 I believe, though it shows up as a "G45/G43" in the device manager.

The back air vents had little dust on it, and I cleaned it out after the second crash I believe. As for the temperatures, I'm a bit worried to try booting again after the "frozen at BIOS" thing, and someone I know (who isn't a computer expert) told me that maybe I was making it worse, and I should lay off. Thus, I'm a bit hesitant to boot. The temp for the CPU at boot a bit back was 34*C.

Finally, I can't roll back the drivers, as when I used the Device Manager to check for updates and such, the "rollback" was grayed out. Also, it was still crashing in safe mode, and of course, during BIOS, which I believe is before drivers are loaded.

#4 Warped55

Warped55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:40 PM

Well, ran DxDiag.exe, here is the results. Also, there was an option to run it in 64 bit, I probably should have run that, shouldn't I? Anyways, before I could get a temperature monitor downloaded, I froze again, this time with a return of the colored bars (though only on the right side, the left had a few lines).

I suppose I should go in depth about the freezes a bit more. When I freeze, most everything stops. When there wasn't color bars, nothing moved at all, but when it just happened, they were kinda shifting in the top left, while everything else stayed still. Also, all power to the mouse and keyboard are cut, AKA the keyboard light's for the "lock" buttons won't brighten, and the mouse won't either. The only way to shut it off is to hold the power button for 4 seconds, as a normal push for some reason won't work. Why would that be anyways? I assume Windows locks up when the graphics card does it's thing, as the "Windows did not successfully shut off/Safe Mode" screen shows up after reboot.

Regardless, it seems to indeed be an overheating problem, as while I have no real data, the time before crashes was much higher after I let it sit a bit (around 10-15 minutes), while using it excessively eventually lead it to freeze during the BIOS. Does that make sense?

Edited by Warped55, 13 July 2011 - 10:40 PM.

#5 jwrealing

jwrealing

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:21 PM

Thanks for posting the DirectX info

I believe there is an update for your graphic chip but I really don't think that is your problem. Also your BIOS is rather old but from what I've read about Asus support for this computer hasn't been the best.

When your computer crashes do you get any kind of Beeping if so what is the sequence i.e. one long one short then starts over with the same sequence, if so listen to it and post the beep sequence, or did you receive an error MSG box with some info.. If so, it would be nice to know what info. was in the box.

Just cleaning the rear Fan vent wouldn't be enough to stop your computer from over heating, you should open up the case, keep in mind your warranty is up more then likely. So opening it up isn't going to hurt any thing.

Look at the CPU cooler and see if its dirty. Use a small light so you can see if need be. Dust is a computer killer, it stops air flow and holds the heat in.

Cleaning your computer out, won't do any damage, unless you go crazy and start banging on things on the inside. I use a vacuum cleaner with a small nozzle when the inside is to dirty. If you use canned Air, just be careful when you spray inside, always test spray out side to insure that any mositer that comes out isn't sprayed inside on your computer.

I SHOULD HAVE MENSTIONED THIS FIRST UNPLUG YOUR COMPTER AND LET IT SET FOR A WHILE ALSO FLIP THE SWITCH ON YOUR POWER SUPPLY TO OFF THAT IS IF IT HAS ONE.

If you don't want to wait then leave the power supply switch on (if it has one) and press the power on switch for 3 second that should kill any residual power in the power supply as well as the residual power on the mother board.

If your computer room has carpet, then take your computer to a room with out carpet touch something that is grounded, to kill any static electricity (one should ware a Static bracelet) but you're not removing any parts just cleaning.

When was the last time you did a full virus check on the system?

And yes it makes since as you are not putting a load on your system.

I forgot to answer one of your questions why you had to hold down the power switch for 4 seconds. Well the power on switch isn't like a light switch that had direct power. When you push down on the power switch it sends a low signal to the mother board that it needs to go to full power on. So it powers on, when you have a hard crash the mother isn't receiving the high signal for power off. So holding it down for 4 seconds is more like pressing the reset button of which you don't have on your case I'll bet. Instead of resetting your system it just powers down. My old Intel TX2 chipset mother board I had to unplug the computer from the wall on a couple of hard crashes, I had a really cheap Case with out a reset button plus the power supply didn't have a power switch. I'm sure some one with more known ledge about this can shoot some hole in explanation but the basics are correct as far as I can remember.

Edited by jwrealing, 14 July 2011 - 10:49 PM.

#6 Warped55

Warped55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:27 AM

I don't get any kind of beeping or any other feedback, it'll just blank. Well, not "blank" like a solid color screen, just everything stops and freezes in place. And do you recommend updating the BIOS? I'd be rather nervous about that, and I heard you really should only do that in completely necessary cases.

I'll give the cleaning a chance, probably tonight or tomorrow. But about the computer, yeah it isn't really that great. It was *supposed* to be for schoolwork, and we just kinda got an economic computer, but of course eventually we games on it. At least it can run Far Cry 2 well enough lol. Also, as for your question about the specific model, I honestly have no idea where to look. All I see on the case is CM5570, would it be in the "system" tab in the control panel? I'll look later

#7 jwrealing

jwrealing

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:56 AM

Sorry for the time that has gone by be for my last post. Grandkids, are here for summer vacation. Most modern computer don't have a case with a speaker in it. So you might not get the beeps. I installed one in my case and connected it to my Mother board. I'm not a sound person so I couldn't get it work on my sound card, so I put in a speaker from a local used computer parts store.

You didn't say when the last time you did a complete computer scan was, also you must have another computer to get on line with. So if you do and you can't do a virus scan of the computer in question, down load a Rescue CD, ISO and burn it to disk, try a couple as one might not work with your set up. I've used Avira and a few other. Just do a search for Rescue CD virus, burn this to CD and not DVD as I'm not to sure if your problem computer has a DVD player/Burner in it. Let me know what the result are. Don't worry if the newest virus detection update can not be down loaded. If you find some thing and you are having a hard time removing it then go to their fourm and some their can help you. Please let me know if you can, and what the results are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users