Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank Adobe PDF Error

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 nikkij07

nikkij07

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:50 PM

Hi, First time post. I have been working on a clients computer for hours and still haven't figured this out. There is a contracted company website that she has to download forms from, when she clicks on "Open Form", a gray/blank PDF window pops up. Ontop of that window is an error box. The box is blank with a blue circle with a white questionmark in it and an "Ok" box. If I hit okay, it will do 1 of 3 things. 1. Go away and leave the blank screen. 2. It will pop back up again, and I get a blank screen. 3. It will bring up the document. I have had this problem on other Windows 7 computers and I unchecked "Display PDF in browser" and it worked. Those computers were running reader 9 and that solution worked fine for those users. I noticed that this didn't happen with Reader X on other Windows 7 pcs. The computer I am currently working on is running Windows 7 and Acrobat 9. I've contacted the contracted company's IT department, but they have never heard of the error. "Display PDF in browser" must be checked, and Reader 10.1.0 or later is not compatible with the forms. Please help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:17 PM

What happens if you right click on the form and download it via Save Link As... and see if it opens up?

#3 nikkij07

nikkij07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:12 AM

There isnt an actual pdf link to click on. The site generates the form and opens it in adobe.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:33 AM

In order to view it it would have to be downloaded.

#5 nikkij07

nikkij07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:32 PM

I understand that. But there isn't an actual link to click on. Just an "open" button.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:51 PM

Can you provide the site?

#7 nikkij07

nikkij07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:34 PM

Sorry, but I can't. Its a restricted access site.

Edited by nikkij07, 14 July 2011 - 05:16 PM.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:15 PM

makes it more difficult to assist you, then I would redirect all questions to the owner of the site and web master.

#9 nikkij07

nikkij07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:19 AM

The site is for a business, and I have already contacted their support several times. I currently have Acrobat uninstalled, so the user is running with Reader 9.4 so she can get work done. I wish I could leave Acrobat off, but she needs it for combining PDFs for presentations. I was trying three different sites and got the same error box. Unfortunately, I cannot give you the links to any of them. One is just like the above site, that just has a "view" button and not an actual PDF. The other is our company SharePoint and I was trying to bring up some PDFs from there. Those I was able to save and open. Any document that is on the computer or a shared drive opens fine. It's just PDFs on the internet. So there must be a setting in Acrobat or IE8 that is causing it. Like I said before, I have seen this on other Windows 7 computers, but never found the reason why.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:14 AM

I have no issues with any websites or PDF's and I am using Windows 7 and Acrobat 10.1. If you could give me the site I could verify this. Something you and that other person has installed is preventing you from viewing the PDF's. The PDF's have to have a download option or save as option from within the PDF Plugin. The only time that this issue can happen is if the PDF's were created with a very old PDF Creater. Until you can give us the link we are only going to guessitmate what the issue is. Its like going to the doctor and saying it hurt, yet when the doctor asks where you cannot say. Makes it kind of useless to seek help when you present the issue and show us exactly where it works.

#11 nikkij07

nikkij07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:00 PM

I haven't seen any problems with Reader X and Windows 7, so I guess Acrobat 10 wouldn't either. Since I had the Acrobat CD, I decided to see what my computer would do. I have the same comuputer she does and they were ordered in the same shipment. I cannot access the specific website that we need working rom my PC. (Digital certificate and what not). After installation, I tried our SharePoint and could open up everything. I wandered to the other end of the building to look at the computers that I saw this problem pop up on before. That was back in November. I looked at a dozen that I had installed Adobe Reader 9 on. By now, they had either upgraded to Reader X or they worked fine. I couldn't find a single one that had "Display in Browser" unchecked, when I specifically remember unchecking it. So I don't know if an update changed it back or what.
Anyway, after getting back to my computer and clicking on something that I actually wanted to read, I got the blank box error. So it's not just her computer, it does it on mine too! While wandering I found a user also running 9 Standard, who didn't have any problems. How frustrating! So I went looking for something on the internet to try and post on here. http://content.dell.com/us/en/business/d/business~smb~sb360~en/Documents~dell-guide-to-server-basics.pdf.aspx I clicked on "Download PDF" and it gave me the error. I opened a new browser window to make sure that link worked and tried it again. This time the PDF came up without any error. Now anything I click on is error free, even though I had the error ten minutes ago. I was going to post a screen shot, (if I can on here)but I seem to have closed out of it. I will save it next time the error pops up.

#12 nikkij07

nikkij07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:21 PM

Of course, as soon as I posted that, I closed IE and reopened and went to open the PDF I wanted to read and got the error. I took a screen shot, but I'm not sure how to post it on here. :(

#13 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:41 PM

I took a screen shot, but I'm not sure how to post it on here. :(

Inserting An Image Within A Post

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#14 nikkij07

nikkij07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:42 PM

here it is: http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc407/nikkij07/adobeerror.png

Edited by nikkij07, 15 July 2011 - 08:44 PM.

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:15 PM

What happens when you try in firefox?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users