Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Use Zone Alarm?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nathansdad04

nathansdad04

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 12 January 2006 - 08:20 AM

How do I allow something to get thru Zone Alarm? It gives me a popup that says it blocked a program...how do I allow the program?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 12 January 2006 - 08:50 AM

User Guide - PDF document
Setting permissions for specific programs, page 79 (assuming you're using version 6.1).

Guides for other versions, can be found here:
User Guides

Edited by tg1911, 12 January 2006 - 08:55 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 07:43 PM

Thanks for the manual......unfortunately I either don't understand English or just suck at computer jargon. I can't seem to find where to find the info I want in the pdf

#4 ergorest

ergorest

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:27 PM

When you first installed it runs through a wizard asking if you want to manually choose allowed programs each time they ask for access.

Which option did you choose in the wizard?
Signature removed for failure to comply with BC guidelines.

#5 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2006 - 11:55 PM

I probably clicked 'auto' not manual

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2006 - 10:43 PM

Can you find Program Control tab? (You did not specify which variant of ZA you're running).
On the Program Control tab you can set Program control to medium, Alert advisor to Auto is initially a good idea. You can always go Manual on individual programs. Combination of those two settings will make ZA ask you. Safe.
However, once you know what you want to permit (in internet zone don't allow anything to run as a server (*) and I block all mail sending permissions except outlook) you can customize EACH program on the Programs tab using checkmark (allow), red x (not allow) or question mark to ask you.
If you want to go into even more detail, hit the program components tab.

If ZA says it blocked a program, it either did it for a good reason or that's ZA default setting, in which case you can change it on the programs tab if you think their decision under Auto is bad.

Edit: I forgot: * Generic Host process needs server access but just in the trusted zone, so give it 3 checkmarks. That's ZA recommendation a while back.

Edited by tos226, 15 January 2006 - 11:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users