Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus. Hidden Files & Folders. Brower problems.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shelleybrown

shelleybrown

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:49 AM

Yesterday there was a error box that appeared on my computer that said my harddrive was corrupt and full. Then shortly after that a "virus" then appeared in a antivirus type protection software that then started spreading like wild fire. I was able to finally get into safemode with networking and go to my email and access my friends on my yahoo and had him send me a link to download and run combofix. It ran and appeared to have removed the virus and fixed the problem. Until I noticed that almost all my files and folders were gone/hidden. When I go to start and then all programs, anything that is listed says "empty." He then sent me Command Prompt and some things to put in to unhide everything. It ran all night and when I woke up this morning it said access denied a million times and it didn't unhide anything. I've gone to folder options and clicked on "show hidden files and folders" that didn't help either. I was able to download mbam a few minutes ago and ran it and it found 5 infected items but then was able to remove them. Also when I get to google or yahoo or any well known search engiene I'm almost always redirected to some bogus website pop up bull that just keeps going. Almost like my brower is being taken over or hijacked or some crap. I'm not that very well with computers so this is probably something simple but being me I have no idea where to start. I would really appreciate any help that could help me. Also I'm running Windows XP ....Thank you again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:37 AM

The symptoms you describe are indicative of a side effect from the HDD Defrag family of rogue security programs which changes file attributes to "hidden", making them appear invisible so the user thinks some of their files have been deleted. Newer variants of the FakeHDD rogue delete Quick Launch and Start Menu items/folders and store them in a %Temp%\smtmp folder.

Since you already ran ComboFix, the log should be reviewed in order to ascertain what was detected and removed.

Please read the pinned topic ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here.

:step2: ComboFix logs, where should I post them?

When you have done that, post the required logs to include your ComboFix log in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team Experts.

If you're not sure where to find the log, ComboFix will create and save it to the root directory, usually C:\ComboFix.txt. To retrieve the log, launch Windows Explorer, navigate to the root directory and double-click on it to open in Notepad.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users