Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIndows 7 startup problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brc2000

brc2000

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:02 AM

Hi

I use Windows 7 (using it for nearly a year now) and everything works smoothly for the most part. I've had absolutely no problems, no crashes, no blue screens, no freezes while using it, or anything, except for one issue that's been occurring pretty much since the start, but I figured it was not a big deal (my brother has a similar problem using Win 7 on his laptop, but less often), but now I've had enough and don't want to risk damaging the computer. Occasionally, that is around 1 or 2, or rarely, even 3 times a month, my computer has a problem at startup. The computer boots normally and the desktop and most of task bar items load as normal, and I'm able to move the cursor, right click the desktop, and click on items, but almost everything becomes unresponsive. I'm unable to open anything, except maybe task manager if I'm lucky. The network connection icon seems to get stuck with the circle thing like in the attached picture. I can sometimes open ths start menu. Now this wouldn't be a big deal, except that I'm unable to shutdown as well, so I'm forced to do a hard boot, and I know that can be harmful if done often. Clicking on shutdown using the start menu, causes the task bar and start menu to freeze, though I'm still able to move the mouse and get the menu on the desktop when right clicking it. I can rarely shutdown using task manager or the shutdown key on my keyboard, but it get's stuck on the shutdown screen. Like I've said, this has been happening pretty much since the start, so I don't think anything I've installed recently is causing it. After restarting, it works normally, like nothing ever happened, and disk check never finds any problems, and I'll go weeks before encountering it again (though once it happened two days in a row). I've even gone over 3 months without it happening.

I've had only 5 programs run at start up prior to this - Realtek audio manager, Kaspersky anti-virus, iTunes helper, Adobe Acrobat, and Adobe Reader and Acrobat Manager (I've disabled this in the past, but it seems to have enabled itself somehow). Right now I disabled everything but the first two, and hopefully that will fix the problem, but I doubt it.

I have pretty much no other problems, except this, and I'm wondering if any one has any ideas. The only things I feel may be causing it are the computer automatically attempting internet connection at startup or the anti-virus. My main concern is that hard booting it may eventually cause some damage to the hardware or corrupt the software.

Thanks

Attached Files

• Attached File  icon.jpg   647bytes   2 downloads

Edited by brc2000, 13 July 2011 - 05:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:03 AM

Is your computer a Toshiba? Are your drivers up to date? Have you checked to see if any BIOS updates have been released via MFG website? The hard shut down will only damage your PC if you OS is writing system files, it won't damage the hardware... but it still isn't recommended to make a habit out of it.

#3 brc2000

brc2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:20 AM

No. It's a custom build.

All drivers are up to date.

I guess if it only matters when the computer is writing files, it might not be a big deal, but I'd still rather not take a chance (especially since I don't really know what's being written in the background or not).

Edited by brc2000, 13 July 2011 - 08:21 AM.

#4 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:25 AM

I guess if it only matters when the computer is writing files, it might not be a big deal, but I'd still rather not take a chance (especially since I don't really know what's being written in the background or not).

EXACTLY!!

Drivers are up to date... is the BIOS?

Have you ran any diagnostics on the computer? I would suggest running MEM test and see if it finds any faults.

#5 brc2000

brc2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:53 PM

Haven't updated the BIOS, because it seemed unnecessary, plus I heard there were risks. But I'm mainly afraid, because according to the Manufacturer's website, my current version reads as "㞰ޔꤐݏᙸ獐" and the latest version as "6.0.1.6201". Don't want to end up with a brick.

I'll check the MEM test, assuming you mean the program Memtest. Still have a hunch that it's caused by one of the start-up services or something though.

Edited by brc2000, 13 July 2011 - 05:20 PM.

#6 brc2000

brc2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:32 PM

bump.

I think it's the antivirus that causes the occasional semi-freeze. I just updated it to the 2012 version. Hopefully, it'll go smoothly. I'll bump this thread if I encounter the problem in the next few weeks or so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users