Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer randomly restarting

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 karnage

karnage

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:56 AM

so my computer is starting to randomly restart and I'm not sure why. I thought it was my video card and switched to the integrated video card and pulled out my other one and I still get it. I tried a memtest and got no errors also.no heating issues at all. speedfan showed nothing overheating. ( I have 4 fans installed) now the problem I'm wondering is a MB short or the PSU. I tried enabling BSOD but it just reboots. it just started happening today. any ideas? I don't think it would be a driver issues as I haven't installed anything new. I ran my antivirus program and nothing. (using avast).

using speedfan my +12v shows 1.98v and my -12v shows 4.01. in my bios everything looks good though. 12v shows 12.49, 3.3 shows 3.39 and last shows 1.98 or something like that, hmmm strange

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:58 AM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 karnage

karnage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:20 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/5FivmoHSROxjvIfxu24Z3mT

i tried a repair and my computer still restarts in the middle of it. doesn't sound to good now.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:22 AM

Well your machine is updated please upgrade to SP1 for Windows 7, and also remove some items as your drive space is rather low.

#5 karnage

karnage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:24 AM

I can't even get that far. its doing it every few minutes now. I just started happening today. I found out my gf cat hit the power switch on the outlet. that could explain a lot now. great. I don't think it has anyhting to do with sp1 seeing how I can't even reinstall windows without it restarting

Edited by karnage, 13 July 2011 - 02:25 AM.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:31 AM

ouch yeah time to take it in have it checked out.

#7 karnage

karnage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:26 AM

well im not going to take it in I can figure it out I'm sure. its pretty much only 2 things now MB or PSU. i'll try another psu I have lying around and see what happens. if it does its the MB most likely.

#8 karnage

karnage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:04 PM

seems like it is the power supply. I swapped it out with an old old one I have and no problems now. reinstalled the other psu and it restarts again. sounds like the ocz I had kicked the bucket. multimeter read 12V but I didn't leave it on for a while. oh well rma ticket time. still have over a year left on the warranty.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:07 PM

Its funny, I have had 3 OCZ Power Supplies fail within 1 year of purchasing them. I dont think ill be recommending them anymore.

#10 karnage

karnage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:10 PM

I agree I'm not happy with this one either. If OCZ won't give me a new one (heard enough horror story's on them with rma's) then I'm definitely going another company.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:14 PM

Well their RMA Process for me was painless and they supported what they stated in their documentation.

#12 karnage

karnage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:17 PM

good to know I hope it's painless for me also. cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users