Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Serious problem after uninstalling IE8

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Omniax

Omniax

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:51 AM

Hello everyone.

(I'm going to be very detailed with this. If it seems excessive, I'm just trying to get an answer out of this. I'm also going to try to remember everything I've tried, but theres a lot. :mellow: )

Due to personal preference, I switched my browser to Firefox a year ago and have loved it ever since. Recently I have been getting a few popups while on the internet, and each time they would open up in an IE browser, so I just decided to uninstall it altogether(since I never used it in the first place). I went to Add/Remove Programs and found IE8... went through the basic uninstall process etc. At one point it warned me that a select few of my programs installed might be affected by the removal, but I didn't see any reason why some of them would be affected by me uninstalling a browser, so I went on ahead anyway. After it was done it told me that I should restart my computer to finish the removal process, but as I was still using my computer at the time I clicked "no".

The next day (today) I turned on my computer to find my desktop completely blank, without any desktop icons nor a taskbar. All that was visible was my desktop background, and I am unable to right-click the desktop, and so of course explorer.exe was not running. I CAN open up task manager though, and was able to access firefox.exe that way (Thank you Mozilla!). However, whenever I type my first letter in the "open" box of New Task, I'm hit with the error message... "The ordinal 681 could not be located in the dynamic link library iertutil.dll." This error message comes up when i delete one letter from a previously typed program in the "open" box. It comes up when I turn my computer on at the welcome screen, and it comes up multiple times when I try opening things with task manager, however, for the most part I am able to get past it. When trying to run explorer.exe, I'm hit with multiples of the same error message; usually 4-5. The first ones (at the top) says "Windows Task Manager: taskmgr.exe - Ordinal Not Found" and on the very last one (at the top) it says "explorer.exe - Ordinal Not Found".

So I did some researching of iertutil.dll, and it seemed that everyone who has a similar problem has a different ordinal number. One fix required me to replace iertutil, so I downloaded a new one and (after renaming the original to iertutilBACKUP.dll) I placed it in the system32 folder. This did not do anything, and I still have the error messages. I tried registering it with Regsvr32 iertutil.dll, but i get the error message "iertutil.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found. The file can not be registered".

I next ran Malwarebytes' Antimalware to see if a virus was causing this. It found 11 infected files and deleted them, but none were the cause of the problem. I ran AVG afterwards and it found none.

At some point I gave up with trying to fix the error message and tried to reinstall IE8 again, so I downloaded the .exe off microsoft's website an tried installing again. In the beginning it says that IE8 is already installed on my computer, which leads me to suspect that something happened during the uninstall process, but i clicked on the option that said something like "Create another unremovable copy". After a few minutes of waiting for it to install (and it completely skips the malware search in the order of events in the installation) it just flat-out says that Internet Explorer could not be installed. If i remember correctly it also says: "Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running on this computer". I tried installing IE7 just to see if i'd get different results, but it said I had a newer version of internet explorer already on my computer, and just stops. In the program files folder I found a folder labeled "Internet Explorer". I tried deleting it, but the computer refused to.

I ran multiple other things. I ran chkdsk, sfc /scannow. I think i got to the control panel at one point but after I get the iertutil.dll error message it either goes to what i want it to or it doesn't. Safe mode is the same way. It's pretty much a mirror image of my regular comp, but safer i guess? System restore does not open on both regular and safe mode, and even if it did, I never made any restore points and I'm not sure if my computer can manually set one every few days. The last recent settings that worked option does not work, which is ironic.

At some other point in time I gave up yet again (and I still think the same way now) and decided to just reinstall windows. I'm not sure what that's called, but I just want to get back to the basic "Nothing except IE, the recycling bin, and the classic hillside windows background" look. As of now, I have 2 CDs sitting in front of me. A green and blue one. The green is a reinstallation disk for XP Pro SP2, and the blue is a reinstallation disk for XP Pro SP3. I know my computer has SP3, so I inserted the blue one while my computer was already at the desktop. I clicked on the install windows button and it ran for a minute or so before restarting my computer in what I guess is the basic installation program for installing windows (blue screen, white text). After scrolling quickly through many files i get an error message... "Nvrd32.sys could not be found. Press any key to continue." When I pressed a key, it said the installation failed bla bla bla, and after hitting another key, the computer restarts. It will continue to restart and go to the disk and try to install with the same message over and over again until I take the CD out.

Why do I need a file... to reset the files? <_<

I did some more research on Nvrd32.sys and apparently it works with Nvidia. I don't know why it was missing or what it is or why I need it, but It said it couldn't be found, so I looked up how to get it. Some answers told me to download some Nvidia drivers and other things. I'm still confused on most of them, so I didn't do anything with that yet. Others told me to create my own Nvrd32.sys, with a very complex tutorial on how to do so. I'm not very involved with the deep tech stuff used to make my computer run. I know how to navigate, and I know a few smaller things like chkdsk, and what they do to my computer etc. To avoid ruining my computer any more I would prefer a fix that didn't involve me editing anything important.

So i'm very confused and tired right now. It's 1:43 am and i've been at this for a good 5 hours before coming here. I have no idea what to do...
I will appreciate any and ALL help given, and maybe with some other people's help I can get my explorer.exe back up and running and get rid of the iertutil.dll error message. I'm also open for any fixes for the Nvrd32.sys problem. If I reset my computer the only thing i have to worry about are the programs i currently have installed, but i can just reinstall them.

Also, please remember that I'm very limited to the amount of things I can do and how I navigate. I can't browse regularly through My Computer and My Documents. I need to use Task Manager> New Task> Browse, to look through my computer.

THANKYOU FOR READING

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:23 AM

Reinstall IE8 or look at some of these other tips. My link

PS: Sorry, but I did not read all the way thru the book.

Edited by USN Vet, 13 July 2011 - 03:26 AM.

Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:16 AM

How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

Louis

#4 Omniax

Omniax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:12 PM

Well, in my first post I said that I already tried to reinstall IE8 with no luck.
Please... There are a lot of problems i'm having right now (which is why the post was so long), I know the answer is not to simply reinstall what i uninstalled...

Anyway, microsoft fixit didn't load. The IE one fixed some .dll files, but that didn't work either. I wasn't able to reset IE because iexplore.exe didn't load, and had the same error message, "iexplore.exe - Ordinal Not Found".

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:35 PM

If you have that many problemss...perhaps the best thing to do would be to do a clean install of Windows.

That's the only "magical fix" for any number of "serious issues"...that are not hardware/malware-related...that I'm aware of. Such problems have nothing to do with uninstalling or installing IE, any version.

Louis

#6 Omniax

Omniax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:49 PM

I also tried to reinstall Windows with another error message. That was in my first post.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:35 PM

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19260658.aspx

This nvrd32.sys problem seems unique to Dell customers.

As near as I can guess...nvrd32.sys is RAID/SATA driver. I've not found any site that says that...I am strictly guessing.

A clean install...is one where you delete everything currently on that partition...and then install Windows anew. It may be painful...but that's why any bona fide aency has always suggested that users implement a backup strategy.

As for these disks that you have...if those came with your system, I would use such. If they did not come with that system...I would not use them.

Louis

#8 zeyzey017

zeyzey017

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:35 AM

it's very late reply but i have a similar problem and i solved it :D

im also searching for this about 3 hrs, and i do all what you do

theres 1 thing you should do again but you need another iertutil.dll

download this
http://www.mediafire.com/?czcg8stvycskxdo

and paste it to

c:\windows\system32 folder

if theres a error or something pop out do this

navigate to your sytem32 folder by using the taskmanager
rename the IERTUTIL.DLL to IERTUTIL.DLL.OFF and again
paste the file. then restart the COMPUTER :D

works on me :D

explore your mind

#9 Drucilla

Drucilla

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:07 AM

download this

and paste it to

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I've been searching the net all day trying to find a fix - i followed your instructions and i'm now back on a working computer ..... Thank you!

#10 binaryboyo

binaryboyo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:52 PM

download this

and paste it to

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I've been searching the net all day trying to find a fix - i followed your instructions and i'm now back on a working computer ..... Thank you!

+100.

Worked for me too!

Not sure why the other IERTUTIL.DLL files that I tried failed and this one worked but it idid! Interestingly this IERTUTIL.DLL was around 10 times the size at around 2MB of the other IERTUTIL.DLL. files available online!

After you install this file and reboot you get an IE Installation screen where it D/L'ds IE 8 and checks for malware etc. and then reboots.

And then hey presto you have your desktop and files back again on screen.

Great fix for this problem thanks to zeyzey017 but still not sure why it occurred in the first place as no new S/W or anything was installed prior to it occurring.

Cheers,

BB

#11 zeyzey017

zeyzey017

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:44 AM

Im Happy that you both have run your system again :) Drucilla & binaryboyo
Thank you very much for TRUSTING :)cheers

explore your mind

#12 Soulflame

Soulflame

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:26 PM

I am very very sorry to revive this thread, however, I have spend the entire day troubleshooting this problem where.. I do not know what happened exactly... but where explorer.exe would just not show up and it was not possible to do system restore or anything that could get close to geting back to an earlier state. 

It is my parents' old windows xp laptop which I promised to temporarily get back into shape ... to have a temp home workspace in a different area of the house.. so that is what I did, cleared something here, removed something there.. and I think that, because I installed both Firefox and Chrome, I removed Internet Explorer 8 (which is just in the list of software.. WHY PUT IT THERE IF YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO REMOVE IT :P), which caused all sorts of problem.. it could also have been because I used the registry cleaner in CCleaner but in all the years I have used the program.. I never had any issues with that program.. 

Anyway there were so many things I tried, using CMD commands to get to stuff, repairing windows xp, doing sfc /scannow, doing chddsk /r and even other things .. atm I still have 16 tabs open about people with the same (sudden) problem, with all kinds of different solutions that did not work.. a few people also had the idea of just downloading the .dll and replacing the old .dll file that was apparently causing problems.. for 4 different files I tried to do that.. still same errors..

Then.. just as a sort of last cause/last hope (I think the folder I placed @zeyzey017 his file in is even called last hope :P), I came accross this thread... downloaded the file using the mediafire link... and suddenly it worked and everything was back to what it was.. and I am so amazingly happy because I spend all day trying things and becoming so frustrated and also blaming myself because.. it can so easily be caused by something I did .. and if you are changing/cleaning so many things (nothing out of the ordinary but still), you cannot surely say what caused it.. which increases the frustration

So thanks zeyzey017 even though Windows XP is now ancient/dead, even though you posted a suggestion over 3 years ago, you are still my hero today and helped my A LOT

Im Happy that you both have run your system again smile.gif Drucilla & binaryboyo
Thank you very much for TRUSTING :)cheers

Quote so you hopefully see my message above, thanks again! 

#13 Threesom666

Threesom666

• Banned
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:55 PM

download this

and paste it to

Mother bleep God Sent! After Hours upon hours of uninstalling and reinstalling everything this bleep! worked! Your a genius! The rest of you download this mediafire fast! before it expires! I dont know why i wasnt going to try it. I had downloaded another version before but it still gave errors! I think the way you said made me wanna give a try and the fact that others on the web have said to try another one. It made me wanna try it more when i realized it was much bigger than the one i had already downloaded. Just like magic everything went back to normal. I almost lost all my files and did a complete restore. This eliminated all that in one sec. I was seeing blue! For those of you who dont know. Never ever uninstall internet explorer 8 on xp sp3. Ever! You'll regret it. That was my mistake.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2016 - 12:10 PM

Topic closed, dated.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users