Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck at "Windows is starting up"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 veggiebin

veggiebin

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:23 PM

Hello!

I was wondering if someone would help me out. My computer will not run windows, as it gets stuck at the "Windows is starting up..." point. I can get into safe mode and run programs from there, and that is how I am able to access the internet.

Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 15 July 2011 - 09:52 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:07 AM

Go to Start, Run and type msconfig. Press OK. Click on the Services tab. Check Hide all Microsoft Services. Uncheck all the remaining services. Go to the Startup tab. Uncheck all the items there. Press OK. A dialog will pop up asking if you want to restart. Press Restart.

If it works go back into msconfig and put a check mark on half the items. Reboot. If the problem still persists switch to the other half of items. Keep doing this, one by one if necessary, until you find the culprit.

Report back with your findings.

#3 veggiebin

veggiebin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:02 PM

.X. -

I was lucky, and it was in the first ten items. It ended up being MBAMService, which I have disabled, and I am now able to access windows. So, this is something I just recently purchased (I believe it is malwarebytes, that I decided to get because I was having a problem with my computer being infected - the reason I found this wonderful website!!!). What exactly is this, and will the anti-malware program still work without it enabled? What do I do from here?

#4 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:07 PM

MBAM cannot properly function without it's service running.

I would try to reinstall MBAM and see if that helps.

BTW: You should keep in mind that msconfig does not delete the entry, it simply prevents it from starting up.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#5 veggiebin

veggiebin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:46 PM

Thanks NewB -

I will try to reinstall the malwarebytes and see if that helps. I just purchased it so that it WOULD start up on its own, to keep the spyware from getting me...right???

#6 veggiebin

veggiebin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:25 PM

I reinstalled malwarebytes, but it still will not open windows in normal startup mode with it activated. Does that mean that I should just delete it and try to find some other program to do the same thing? Any suggestions?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:51 AM

<<So, this is something I just recently purchased (I believe it is malwarebytes, that I decided to get because I was having a problem with my computer being infected - the reason I found this wonderful website!!!). What exactly is this, and will the anti-malware program still work without it enabled? What do I do from here?>>

If your system problems have a malware origin...you should have initiated a post in the Am I Infected forum...I will move this topic there.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users