Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Second graphic card problem

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 alpha4345

alpha4345

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:39 PM

Hello guys,

I actually own a Dell XPS 420 notebook equipped with two graphic cards: one Intel HD graphics and one NVIDIA GT 420M GPU.

But since I got it, the only GPU I can use is the crappy Intel HD graphics and I don't know why... I installed the latest drivers for both GPU and when I go to DEVMGMT, they say for my GT 420M:

"Windows a arrêté ce périphérique car il présente des problèmes. (Code 43)"

In english: "Windows has stopped this device because it presents problems. (Code 43)" Traducted with Bing Translator...

It's really annoying because I cannot play high demanding games like BFBC2 and Dragon Age 2...

That's all that I can say. I you want more infos, just ask me!

Thank you very much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:45 PM

Bonjour!

I am providing you with a link to Microsoft's web site, when you first go to this link, an offer will be made to fix hardware problems with your computer automatically, it is called Microsoft's FIX IT!

Try using that feature first by clicking the RUN NOW button to see if it fixes your problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123

This page also lists error codes and their meanings, but you would only see those if you opted out of allowing FIX IT to fix your problem automatically.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 12 July 2011 - 10:50 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 alpha4345

alpha4345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:06 AM

It didn't worked. It only solved a windowws update automation thing... For my GeForce the problem has been detected but not solved -_- Now, when I go to DEVMGMT, they say that I have to get the drivers of my "base system device" to solve my problem... But each time I try it, they don't find any driver to install... What a freak problem...

Just to let you know the code 43 means: One of the drivers that control the device reported the failure of the device to the operating system.
If you have already run the Troubleshooting Wizard, you may want to consult the hardware documentation for more information on the diagnosis of the problem.

P.S: if it can help, I had a problem with this computer for the OS and I had to completly reinstall it. Maybe that is the cause.

Oh, and my computer is a Dell XPS L501X.

If someone's has another solution, feel free to post :)

Edited by alpha4345, 13 July 2011 - 09:19 PM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:24 AM

Lets try this and see if it resolves your problem.

I am posting a link to the drivers for Windows Vista and Windows 7 32 bit, you did not post what operating system you are using so I am guessing, if your operating system is Windows XP or if it is 64 Bit, you can make the changes on the web page I am linking you to on the second link.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-275.33-whql-driver.html

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

You may also want to look into whether your power supply is fully capable of supplying enough power output to power up the Nvidia GT 420M video card.

You should also try making sure the video card is fully seated in the slot and if in doubt whether that video card is defective, you could try it in another computer to confirm this possibility.

Please keep us updated on the results you get by trying the above mentioned suggestions.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 14 July 2011 - 06:24 AM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 alpha4345

alpha4345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:15 AM

Alright! Sorry for forgetting posting my OS... It is Win7 64-bit :)

I'll fist try you drivers and give you the results!

I will also check my power supply, but it is supposed to work, because I did'nt changed anything in the computer since I have it.

Just to let you know: we are talking about a laptop. I can't check if it is in the slot or remove it of the laptop :(

Edited by alpha4345, 14 July 2011 - 09:24 AM.

#6 alpha4345

alpha4345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:58 AM

RESULTS POST:

For the drivers update: I downloaded the porgram, ran it and all was normal. It asked me too reboot, I did so. Just before rebooting, I got an error message but I didn't had time to read it. So after rebooting, I relaunched the drivers program. This time, it was written:

"This graphic driver has not found any compatible graphic material". Whaaaaat???

For my power supply, it generates around 19.7 volts, and my Intel HD graphics consumes around 35W and my GeForce too... If it can help, my CPU is an Intel Core i3 M380 2.53GHZ.

#7 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:04 AM

You dont have 2 video cards inside. Its one card using Intel HD graphics because it supports HDMI output at 1080p. Intel HD graphics is just a name for technology, incorporated into the actual GPU/motherboard/video output ability.

Processor Intel Core i5-460M
(2x2.53GHz, 32nm, 3MB L3, Turbo to 2.80GHz, 35W)
Chipset Intel HM57
Memory 2x2GB DDR3-1333 (Max 8GB)
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 420M 1GB GDDR3 96 SPs, 500/1000/1600MHz Core/Shader/RAM clocks
Display 15.6" B+GR LED Glossy 16:9 1080p (1920x1080)
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#8 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:08 AM

Fun Fact: Your HDMI output is 1.4 so its capable of 3D output ;)
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#9 alpha4345

alpha4345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:10 AM

Oh, I tought that my Intel HD was integrated in my CPU... And I can confirm that I have an intel Core i3, not i5 (its written on my laptop). And when I open devmgmt or dxdiag, they say that I have intel HD and my GeForce isn't working properly (code43).

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:07 PM

I actually own a Dell XPS 420 notebook equipped with two graphic cards: one Intel HD graphics and one NVIDIA GT 420M GPU.

Now I am a bit confused here, you listed two different Dell computer model numbers.
Which Dell computer are we actually working with here?

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 15 July 2011 - 03:08 PM.

#11 alpha4345

alpha4345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:49 PM

Now I am a bit confused here, you listed two different Dell computer model numbers.
Which Dell computer are we actually working with here?

Bruce.

Dell XPS L501X

Sorry.

#12 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:37 AM

Ok, well here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3999/dell-xps-15-l501x-review

Either your model number is wrong, or I am just seeing things

Either way, its still just 1 GPU.

Edited by s1lents0ul, 27 July 2011 - 12:39 AM.

==]--s1lents0ul-->

#13 Alex_B

Alex_B

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:01 AM

The first thing I would do is boot with a Linux CD and check which cards are recognised there, so that at least we know whether it's a hardware or a driver issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users