Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway desktop won't boot up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CCross

CCross

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:01 PM

I have 3 year old Gateway DX4720-03. Twice today I got the blue screen memory dump, didn't know what to do so turned off computer at tower. The 2nd time I turned it back on, it went to the screen to select to start up in safe mode etc. I just chose to start up regular way. Got my desk top with no problem, started running Spybot, then everything went black. Had to turn it off at tower again. Now when I turn it on I just get the Gateway Logo, then no signal RGB then screen goes dark again. It sounds like it wants to boot up but then the blue light display for the power button just fades in & out & nothing happens. Is my hard drive shot or could it be another problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:45 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Have you made any recent changes to your system in the last few days, which includes new hardware or drivers?

Try booting the system up and press any key mentioned on the screen to enter setup, this might be the F1, F2 or DEL (delete) key.

Search the BIOS screen for fail safe or load system defaults and choose that option, reboot the system.

During the black screen with options to choose from, try choosing "last configuration that worked" and allow the system to boot to windows.

If your system continues to act up, boot windows one more time, this time during the black screen choose disable automatic restart, the next time your system fails, you should have a blue screen with information regarding what caused the error and the system to crash.

If it is possible, you can take a snap shot of the screen and post a link to the image.

If you can boot into windows you can use blue screen view to diagnose your crash issues and also post the log for our review.

Download BlueScreenView 
No installation required. 
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program. 
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 CCross

CCross
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:00 AM

Thank you MrBruce.

I'll give this a try & see if I'll be able to do anything. I appreciate your assistance, thanks again.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:06 AM

The "no signal" message on the display typically indicates the display and the display adapter are not communicating. Could be a bad display, a bad display adapter, a bad connection, or something totally unrelated. If the advice from Bruce doesn't help I'd suggest trying a different video card.

Edited by Allan, 14 July 2011 - 07:06 AM.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:07 AM

You're welcomed and I will be watching this thread for your next reply. :wink:

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users