Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linksys card: WMP600N Issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jamaican Skies

Jamaican Skies

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:52 PM

Hey guys,

First off, let me start by saying I am not the most computer savy person. However, I think I know enough to get by.

My problem,

I am running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, with an ASUS motherboard, a wired keyboard and mouse, i7 sandy bridge processor, AMD graphics card and a WMP600N linksys wireless card. My problem is that the Linksys card is tripping everything up! When I am connected to my home internet, the wireless has the effect of making the computer stutter and a loss of internet conectivity. If I disconnect (or turn off the wireless card via the device manager) everything returns to normal (minus the fact I can't use the internet). I have spent a bit of time googling this and I am having a hard time finding a solution out there to this one...

Oh, and I am certain that there is an interference between this card and a wireless keyboard another pc is using. I disconnected it, and everything was okay. As you might understand though, I would prefer to leave that pc as is with its wireless keyboard. I am really looking to change the card so that it could run in these circumstances.

I hope I have provided all the details that is nesseceary to help me figure this one out. I eagerly look forward to what you gentlemen might have to say to my predicament...thanks!

Edited by Jamaican Skies, 12 July 2011 - 08:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:00 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I read through your post, from what I am gathering, your primary problem is being caused by a wireless keyboard that is interfering with the wireless signal your other computer is using.

Today most routers use the same spread of frequencies that other wireless devices use, this also includes devices like remote controls for electronics, wireless telephones and even to some degree cell phones.

The FCC has really made a mess of things by moving the bands around to cater to wireless broadband, in the process low powered RF devices have been jammed into a very small piece of the frequency spectrum and those devices interfere with each other.

My best suggestion is try using a wired connection as apposed to using the WMP600N linksys wireless card because you will find that most newer wireless devices for computer all share the same piece of frequency spectrum.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Jamaican Skies

Jamaican Skies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:52 PM

Hello Bruce,

Thanks for the reply. I guess that is rather unfortunate for me. It is very dissapointing that there is not something I can do to fix this problem by tweaking the wireless card. Unfortunately, a wired connection is not a real possibility at this time, as the router is quite a distance from where my computer is. It's connected to another PC.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:26 PM

There is probably a rare chance that the wireless frequency can be changed at the router far enough away from the interfering device, because RF (radio frequency waves) can jam other frequencies in the same frequency spectrum.

The best you can do is change your broadcast frequency and hope for the best.

You would have to gain access to the router's firmware through a web browser, accessing the router depends on the brand name of the router.
Some are accessed by typing an IP number into the browser's address bar, some require the typing of a web address.

Once that has been done, a box asking for the name and password to access the router would appear on your computer screen.
Once that is done correctly, you should now be in the routers internal setup utility where you can change the broadcast channel number from channel 1 to channel 11 under your wireless settings.

Your computer would then have to be switched to the same channel number as the router or be put into search mode until it locates your broadcast SSID name.

Keep changing the channel from 1 to 11 until you experience less interference.
You can also get an idea which channel is the quietest in your area by allowing the wireless computer to search, it will show all wireless broadcast networks close to your area and you can choose the quietest channel this way.

What is the make and model number of your wireless router?

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users