Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java Install Stops with Error 1606

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jonxps

jonxps

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:45 PM

I uninstalled an old version of Java. Downloaded jre-6u26-windows-i586 and am trying to install it. I am receiving a pop up with "Error 1606. Could not access network location %APPDATA%\" and I have to cancel out of the install. Any suggestions???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:53 AM

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/error_installshield.xml

Louis

#3 jonxps

jonxps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:30 PM

That's what I was doing. The only difference from the file you linked to and the one I downloaded before is that new one has a "-s" on the end of the file name. Needless to say I'm still getting the error. Any other ideas? Thanks!!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,404 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:30 PM

Sorry...are you saying that you downloaded a current version of java...from a site other than the java site?

Louis

#5 jonxps

jonxps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:29 PM

I had other issues with my PC that Bleepin' Blonde helped me with on a post under the Virus, Trojan... section. Part of the issues she identified was an old version of Java. The link she provided was "http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp" where I downloaded "jre-6u26-windows-i586". I tried installing it and had the error. Since this is more of a Java problem, instead of what my original post concerned, I started a new post here.

The link you provided took me to a java page where I downloaded "jre-6u26-windows-i586-s" I have no idea why this file has the suffix "-s", but I assume both files are basically the same. I receive the same error when I try to run either of the files.

I appreciate your help!!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,404 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:18 AM

Ahhhh...I understand now :).

What I would do...uninstall java completely, then go to http://www.java.com/en/download/ and install anew.

Uninstall Java

Alternate uninstall technique, http://www.wargeek.net/uninstall-java-runtime-environment-completely-uninstal-java-uninstaller.html .

Louis

#7 jonxps

jonxps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:09 PM

Java isn't listed under the control panel programs to uninstall; that's how I uninstalled when Bleepin Blonde said it was out of date and needed to be removed. I ran JavaRa and it didn't seem to do anything. I looked for the log file and couldn't find it under C:\

I tried reinstalling the file "jre-6u26-windows-i586-s" anyway and got the same error. Could there be something left over in the registry? When I searched my hard drive for "java" I'm not seeing any results that I don't recognize (ie. JavaRa, jre-6u26-windows-i586 install program I downloaded, and that's it).

Hoping that maybe it was really gone; I got the file from http://www.java.com/en/download/. Same error stops the install.

Can we rename this post The Curse of Java?

Below is an article from Microsoft called "You receive an "Error 1606" error message when you try to install or remove a Microsoft program"
My link
I ran their fix it program and I'm still getting the same error when I try to install Java. I'm not savvy enough to understand all the registry info they have under the fix it yourself section.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,404 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:06 PM

I don't have any more to offer, seems you have already approached it in the manner that I would have.

Louis

#9 jonxps

jonxps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:55 PM

Louis, thank you for trying to help. Is there a forum that deals with registry issues? I'm pretty sure the problem is in there, but I have no idea how to correct registry problems manually. Thanks again and have a good weekend.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,404 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:23 AM

"Registry problems" are O/S problems, since the registry is a key part of the O/S.

You can initiate a new post for such in the Vista forum...I urge you to provide pertient details about such in that post.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users