Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU usage very high

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SeanC

SeanC

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:19 PM

I have a relatively new hp pavilion and it has always run very well until recently. Nothing seems to be different with my computer, yet the programs i used to run seemlessly are now overloading my system. As far as I know all my running processes seem alright and I have performed a full system scan with ESET nod32 and malwarebytes and nothing came up as infected. The one thing i did notice is that svchost is always using the most memory and this was never the case before. Can somebody please help so my computer works like it should again???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:36 PM

Hello, I moved this from W7 to Am I Infected for now.

Run one more scan please.
Reboot into Safe Mode with Networking
How to start Windows 7 in Safe Mode

Next run Superantisypware (SAS):

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the Scanning Control tab.
  • Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
  • Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
  • Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.
If you have a problem downloading, installing or getting SAS to run, try downloading and using the SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner instead. Save the randomly named file (i.e. SAS_.COM) to a usb drive or CD and transfer to the infected computer. Then double-click on it to launch and scan. The file is randomly named to help keep malware from blocking the scanner.

If this did not fix it then Use Process Explorer to see what's running at startup.

Please download and run Process Explorer v11.33
Click on File then Save As, create a log.
Start another new Windows 7 topic so they can help you with those results.
Copy and paste it into your next reply.

svchost.exe is an application used by various applications. The problem is usually not with svchost.exe but with the application running the service which is using svchost.exe. At any one time you can have any number of processes running svchost.exe and you need to identify which one it is that is causing the problem. The process PID number is no help as it changes from computer to computer and each time you boot the computer. The constants are the command line and there are around 10 commonly used.

You will see which copy of svchost.exe is over active and if you right click on the process you will see a list of services which use that particular process. An example of a command line is svchost.exe-k netsvc. A number of services use this and one service commonly causing problems in this group is wuaserv which relates to Windows Update. Once you have identified the service you have the to identify the application using the service. In the example I have given it is fairly obvious but others are not so easy to determine.
CreditGerry C J Cornell

Edited by boopme, 12 July 2011 - 08:47 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 catsmiss

catsmiss

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:05 AM

I am having the problem with the svchost.exe running at high cpu a few minutes upon startup with the occasional error "tone" but no pop up errors. Under the Process Explorer, here are the listed items running under that svchost
AudioSrv Windows Audio
BITS Background Intelligent Transfer Service
Browser Computer Browser
CryptSvc CryptSvc
Dhcp DHCP Client
ERSvc Error Reporting Service
EventSystem COM+ Event System
FastUserSwitchingCompatibility
helpsvc Help and Support
HidServ HID Input Service
lanmanserver Server
lanmanworkstation Workstation
Netman Network Connections
Nla Network Location Awareness (NLA)
RasMAn Remote Access Connection Manager
Schedule Task Scheduler
SENS System Event Notification
SharedAccess Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Share
ShellHWDetection Shell Hardware Detection
srservice System Restore Service
TapiSrv Telephony
Themes Themes
TrkWks Distributed Link Tracking Client
w32time Windows Time
winmgmt Windows Management instrumentation
WZCSVC Wireless Zero Configuration

I will on occasion get an error message saying "The instruction at "0x7816e542" referenced memory at "0x000000013". The memory could not be read."

Is this some kind of bug and how can I get rid of it asap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users