Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer won't turn on

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wordmaster

wordmaster

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:04 PM

I have an ABIT KV8 pro MB and I flashed the bios on it. After the bios said it was successfully flashed, it started back up and I cut it off and disconnected the power. I then
cleared the CMOS. I put the jumper back in place on the CMOS and tried to start the computer. The green light flashes but goes back out before anything starts. The led lights that stay
on anytime power is connected inside the case on the MB are lit.

Any and all help appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:16 PM

How did you clear the CMOS?

#3 wordmaster

wordmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:39 PM

I removed the jumper from pins 1 and 2, placed it on pins 2 and 3, left it for 30 seconds and replaced it on 1 and 2. All this with the power disconnected.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:32 AM

Clearing the CMOS also involves removing the battery and power from the motherboard, other wise it did nothing.

#5 wordmaster

wordmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:19 AM

Any idea why the computer refuses to turn on and run?

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:39 AM

were there any recent power issues like a power surge?

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:03 PM

power surges of any kind.

#8 westom

westom

• Banned
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:19 AM

Any idea why the computer refuses to turn on and run?

That and other functions are determined by a power controller. Without numbers from a multimeter, then nobody can say any more. Power controller determines if a PSU powers on, if the CPU is permitted to execute, and when power is shut off. Even enabled NICs or modems cto power on a computer (if the function was enabled).

To have a useful answer means a multimeter and directions for that one minute of labor. Those resulting three digit numbers means answers to your question definitively; without doubts and without speculation.

#9 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:23 AM

Clearing the CMOS also involves removing the battery and power from the motherboard, other wise it did nothing

His method, where he shorted the jumper, is all that is needed to clear the CMOS. There multiple ways to do it.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#10 wordmaster

wordmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:12 AM

SOLVED!! I finally found that I simply did not have the jumper back on pins 1 and 2 good. Got the jumper properly situated and everything works fine. BTW, the way I did it is exactly how the MB manufacturer says to do it. Most MB's have a CMOS jumper and the correct way to clear it is to move the jumper, leave it for 30 seconds or so and move it back. I just didn't get it seated good when I moved it back and that was what caused the problem.

#11 jwrealing

jwrealing

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:22 AM

I would have to agree that you did it right, now if you had a dell or gateway, I've seen the MB's missing the pins, just solder points that you would have to short out with a screw driver or something. So it was easy to just remove the battery. I do turn of the power supply switch any time I do any work in side on my computer

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:50 AM

I'm curious as to why you flashed the BIOS...what problems had you experienced that you thought would be solved by such?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users