Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Popureb Infection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 brokemu

brokemu

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:45 PM

Hello. I'm looking for a way to resurrect my laptop. It's an 18 month old Toshiba Satellite L455-S5000 with Windows 7, mainly used for emails and some music storage (only about 50 of the 250 GB hard drive was full). It hasn't given me any trouble until last Wednesday. My Yahoo homepage froze, and I tried about 8 times to close my Firefox page via the Task Manager. When it closed, I thought I could open up Webroot Internet Security Essentials to do a scan, only to get the Blue Screen of Death before I could act any further. It shut down, will not start in Safe Mode, and now when I turn it on, the only thing I see on my screen repeating is:

For Realtek RTL8101E/8102E(L)/8103(L)

PXE-E61 Media Test Failure; Check Cable
PXE-M0F Exiting PXE-ROM

Initially, I thought just the hard drive crashed (and since I'm not the most technical, that could still be the case), not considering my computer could be infected. The latest updates for Windows were current as of late last Tuesday and I usually update my anti-virus every 4-6 hours of browsing. Help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:24 PM

Reported so that a person who has an expertise in this area can look at it.

#3 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:14 AM

Hi brokemu,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer. Apologies for the delay. Please tell me if you still need assistance.

#4 brokemu

brokemu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:46 AM

Yes, I still need assistance. I'm appreciative of any help that keeps me from forking over $200-$300 to B--t B-y...unless I absolutely have to.

A few things since my initial posting might have lacked some actions:
1) The recovery disks I made for the laptop are only from the initial set-up of the computer, 18 months ago
2) I downloaded the anti-Popureb tool from Webroot from my XP desktop to a USB drive, with no luck

Edited by brokemu, 16 July 2011 - 03:00 PM.

#5 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,696 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:50 PM

Okay firstly I'll move this topic to the appropriate forum to find out if the machine get's somewhere that is workable.

I'm not sure about the initial issue or any possible infection but right now it looks more like a hardware problem.

• Please tell me all the step you have taken to recover the laptop so that I need not to repeat it.
  • Can you get to Advanced Boot Options by tapping F8 right after restating the computer?
  • What you get if you Tap F2, F10 or F12 right after starting the computer.?

#6 brokemu

brokemu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 10:04 PM

1) I was operating under the assumption that I was infected with something (When you assume, you make an---); I had tried the Webroot anti-popureb tool and that's basically it.
2) Pressing, tapping or holding F8 does absolutely nothing
3) I get the other Boot Menus via F2 or F12; when I press F10, I get this screen before I can choose to hit F2 or F12 or just get the usual blinking cursor-Media Test failure message loop:

Attached Files

#7 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,696 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:37 AM

Now we have to try many possibilities.

Please press F10 then press F2 to get the BIOS Set Up and then follow the steps How to Reset the Factory BIOS System for a Toshiba Satellite Laptop to set the BIOS to the factory default.

After that restart and let it boot normally to see if anything changes. Also try once to restart and tap F8 to see if anything has changed. With "change" I don't mean computer is able to boot. The question is if you can pass the "PXE-E61 Media Test Failure; Check Cable" screen.

#8 brokemu

brokemu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:42 AM

After pressing F10, then F2 and setting the BIOS back to factory defaults....repeating screen of "PXE-E61: Media Test Failure; check cable."
After restarting the laptop then pressing F8, I get the same screen I attached earlier for a moment, then....repeating screen of "PXE-E61: Media Test Failure; check cable."

#9 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,696 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:09 PM

Okay that one is ruled out.

Now please press F10 at startup and this time press F12 and tell me what devices are listed and in what order.

Also tell me if the laptop has a DVD\CD-ROM and if you have a Windows installation DVD.

#10 brokemu

brokemu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:58 PM

These are the devices listed in order:
HDD1/SSD1
CD/DVD
LAN

I do have a DVD drive, but the laptop didn't come with a Windows Installation DVD.

#11 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,696 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 03:18 PM

I'm afraid I have bad news. The boot order is alright. The system tries to read the HDD which is the first option. It can't find the OS and goes on to CD/DVD and then tries to read the the network. Of course it can't find the OS via network and you get the error.

If you have had the Windows installation DVD we could still try a recovery operation.

Now the only option is to find out if there is a recovery option on the laptop. Could you please tap F11 at startup and see if you get any option?

#12 brokemu

brokemu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:41 PM

Tapping F11 does nothing.
Again, the laptop didn't come with a copy of the Windows Installation DVD; all I have are the 5 Recovery DVDs made upon the laptop's initial setup.

#13 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,696 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:48 PM

The only option left is to use those Recovery DVD's.

To do that you press F10 at startup and then press F12. Change the order of boot so that the CD/DVD will be the first in boot order. It should then look like:

CD/DVD
HDD1/SSD1
LAN

Insert the first DVD and restart, when you see press a key to start from CD... press a key and follow the recovery instructions. If it asks you if you want to keep your current files you may make your choice.

#14 brokemu

brokemu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:48 PM

Change the boot order and place the First Recovery Disk in and restart, only to get this message 20 or so seconds in:

<Error>

An error has occurred.

ERROR: F3-F100-0003

An error has occurred.
Please press [OK] to turn off the computer.

#15 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,696 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:56 PM

I'm sorry I have not seen any infection going so far. I'm not good at technical issues but my wild guess is that the hard drive is died.

You may start a topic at technical forums if you like to have a second opinion on this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users