Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen with Mouse Cursor in Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sag969

sag969

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:12 PM

A few nights ago I came home to my Win 7 64 bit desktop frozen in a busy state. Windows was running, but the cursor was indicating busy and the computer was locked up. After 10 minutes of waiting for it to respond (hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del or Ctrl+Shift+Del had no response), I did a hard reboot (held down power button until the computer restarted). When the computer booted back up - I saw a "Resuming Windows" screen rather than "Starting Windows." Windows did load, and while everything appeared to run fine (Start menu would open and cursor was okay), no programs would open after clicking on them, and task manager would not appear. Fed up, I did another hard reboot. This time, Windows did not boot. The Windows 7 logo appears, gets very dim, and after a while a 0xed (Unmountable boot volume) BSOD appears and the computer restarts.

The fun really begins when trying to launch Windows Setup, any of the three safe modes, or last known good configuration. In the safe mode scenarios, safe mode never loads (gets hung up while loading drivers). For last known good configuration, I get the same BSOD. The really interesting part is Windows Setup. Windows setup loads (you see the loading bar), and then goes to a black screen. After a while (15-60 minutes), a cursor appears on the screen. You can move the cursor around - but that's it. Ctrl+Alt+Del has no effect. I've left the computer on for 24+ hours at this point - nothing else happens. I have a separate Windows 7 64 bit repair CD as well as a Windows 7 64 bit ERD CD. When forcing the computer to boot off the CDs, the same exact scenario occurs. Windows Setup loads...then black screen. Booted off an Ubuntu live CD - the harddrives (I have three) are all fine. Data is okay, SMART tests all pass. If I could just get to a place where I could run something like chkdsk or some fixboot commands - I'd probably be okay. But anytime I try to boot/run some Windows based software - everything goes to crap.

My next step (which I will probably work on tonight/tomorrow) is to remove the harddrive that has Windows installed on it (a ~70 GB hdd), hook it up to another computer through a USB cable system that will make it look like an external harddrive, and hopefully run chkdsk on it that way. I'm posting here to see if anyone has any suggestions or ideas though. It blows my mind that whatever is wrong with my Windows installation is somehow blocking a windows repair disc from loading.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 barlow

barlow

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:00 PM

First, I know next to nothing about computers. If there is a possibility you problem is virus or malware related, would you not be chancing spreading this to the alternate computer? Just a thought, and like I said... :-)
Good luck, I am having a similar problem (check my profile for topic source) you might see the suggestions someone listed there?

#3 barlow

barlow

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:04 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:23 AM

I would try running the chkdsk /r command on the drive.

Links

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users