Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yanni335

yanni335

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:51 PM

Hello -

I have been having problems with one of my laptops, I tried using a Norton Anti-Virus program to clean up this computer but I don't think it has worked. I have tried to monitor what is running and it seems that no matter what I do the computer lags. When the computer starts it takes a very long time before I am able to open anything. I get a number of notifications to install new verisons of Java and Adobe programs, which I try to keep updated, but it seems like it never updates.

The computer is running Windows Vista Home Edition and it is a 32 bit operating system.

Any help you are able to provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance-

-J

Edited by yanni335, 12 July 2011 - 02:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:52 PM

When you say you used NAV to try to "clean the computer" are you saying it is or was infected?

#3 yanni335

yanni335
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:01 PM

Allan-

It was infected at one point when the computer was primarily used by my younger brother. But we were able to clean it up and it has performed well for a couple of years and now has just started running slow. We just use the computer to access the internet and basic word processing.

-John

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:04 PM

Please try a selective startup / clean boot per the instructions below. If the system still doesn't respond properly you might want to post in the Am I Infected forum:

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users