Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task Scheduler and System Restore

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 chrischris

chrischris

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:51 PM

I set the TS to create a regular SR point. The TS shows the operation successfully completed at the time/date I selected (the PC is ON). However, the SR point created doesn't show in the list of available SR points (Control Panel>Recovery). Where is it? Apparently I also get SR points generated at system startup (typically 6:30am), but they're not listed either. The only SR points I get listed are ones created "out of the blue", every 5 or 6 days sometime between 7:30 and 8 pm. I don't know where they come from.

Edited by chrischris, 12 July 2011 - 01:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:07 PM

Id recommend that you let The System restore service handle the creation of System Restore Points.

#3 chrischris

chrischris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:22 PM

What "service" are you talking about? There's another way (other than Control Panel>Admin Tools>TS>Library>MS>Windows>SR) to set the schedule that creates SR points?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:30 PM

The Shadow Copy Service in Services. Every time you install any updates or applications a restore point will be created most of the time.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:43 PM

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/System-Restore-frequently-asked-questions

#6 chrischris

chrischris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:12 PM

Crypt....no such thing as Shadow Copy Services shown under Services on my PC...maybe it's because I have Win7/64 Home Premium. I can access Previous Versions (ie, shadow copies) of files from some SR points, but that has nothing to do with the scheduling of SR points

Allan....that's for Vista, Win7 doesn't make daily SR points. In fact, you have to install a special tweak to get a daily SR point...... see attachment

Attached Files

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:16 PM

Didn't notice which forum we're in, sorry. Here you go: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/system-restore

BTW, I'm not a fan of system restore. When it works it's great. Unfortunately, when you need it most it's prone to failure. Instead I recommend that EVERYONE use disk imaging software on a regular basis. Bottom line, if you do you will never have worry about recovering from almost any software or malware problem again. If you're interested in more info let me know and I'll post a little blurb I put together.

#8 chrischris

chrischris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:10 PM

Allan....I like SR, it's a lot quicker/easier than bringing back an image just to fix a bad setting. I've had very good luck with it. I do image every couple of weeks, and backup files every day or two. One of the most interesting blurbs I've seen (my ext backup drive is only 160GB) is: http://www.pagestart.com/win7bckuprstr06281001.html

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:53 PM

The service is Volume Shadow Copy.

#10 chrischris

chrischris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:18 PM

crypt...OK,got that. Have gone from manual to automatic, will post what happens tomorrow.

But I'm starting to conclude that SR points cannot be scheduled by the common user. I can do scheduled daily SR point creation only because a M$ MVP created a script for me. The weekly points that M$ has hardwired into SR aren't created often enough for me (earlier Adobe attachment).

Edited by chrischris, 12 July 2011 - 07:21 PM.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:30 PM

How many restore points do you need?

#12 chrischris

chrischris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:57 PM

I like 2-3 weeks worth of daily points, about the same spacing I have between system images. Why use 2-3 weeks' old system settings if I just got a botched update from M$ yesterday?

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:34 AM

You do know that all those system restore points eats up valuable hard drive space, and can cause computer slow downs?

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:36 AM

How can they cause "slow downs"?

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:04 AM

As stated before in my previous posts regarding hard drive space. The less you have the slower it takes windows to find something. It is that reason alone I elect to disable System Restore on all my computers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users