Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nasty Vista Security Center Virus?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Thumperrr

Thumperrr

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:39 PM

I wasn't sure where exactly to post this, however this section of the forum seemed most appropriate.
I work at a local computer repair shop. Two laptops came in last week with the same exact virus in Windows Vista.
The virus was masquerading as the windows security center, saying AV wasn't installed, and to pay for it, and such.
That part of the virus was easy enough to remove. The infection seemed gone, and after watching them for recurrence for the next 24 hours, i shelved the computers for the customers to pick up.
The next day before the customer took his laptop home, we turned it on to be absolutely sure everything was okay. Internet access now appears to be blocked. Pinging anything other than 127.0.0.1 fails.
On a hunch, i took out the other laptop that had the same infection. Interestingly enough, it also is exhibiting the same symptoms.

Now, I'm already in the process of reinstalling windows on both of the machines (I found myself in too deep and decided to get rid of all uncertainty). I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced something similar, or come up with a vague idea on what could have possibly changed between the time I shut them down, and the time started them up the next day to cause such a thing, and what could make it happen to two laptops at exactly the same time.

-Thumperrr

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,567 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:44 PM

For the connection try these...

Please click Start > Run, type inetcpl.cpl in the runbox and press enter.
Click the Connections tab and click the LAN settings option.
Verify if "Use a proxy..." is checked, if so, UNcheck it and click OK/OK to exit.
Now check if the internet is working again.

OR
Go to Start ... Run and type in cmd
A dos Window will appear.
Type in the dos window: netsh winsock reset
Click on the enter key.

Reboot your system to complete the process.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Thumperrr

Thumperrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:10 PM

I had already performed those two tasks with no luck.

Ahh, a chance to humiliate myself on this forum already! It was our router that needed to be reset. That has never happened before..
It's always the simple things. -facepalm- for not checking them first.

EDIT:
Although, internet was functioning fine for the rest the devices on the network. It's weird the two in question were the only ones exhibiting the problem.

Edited by Thumperrr, 12 July 2011 - 02:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users