Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Completely Confused

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jamy1224

jamy1224

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 12 January 2006 - 12:49 AM

My desktop pc is having problems. I've run spysweeper, avast, norton, ewido, panda to remove various spyware and viruses. My lastest scanns have come back clean, at least nothing major. I have done all of these test first in safe mode and then in normal mode. My problem is that when I'm back in safe mode my internet doesn't work. I close out and go back to safe mode and I can connect with no problems. I tried using system restore but it keeps telling me that it has failed and can't restore. My computer also seems to have lost the drivers for my printer, i get a message that says print spooler service not running.

Any suggestions or should I back up everything and erase the hard drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 12 January 2006 - 05:11 PM

Hi jamy1224

Please don't find this post insulting, but i would like to get the basics down before we try alternative things. You do know that in standard safe mode the internet is disabled. This means that you will be be able to connect to the internet in safe mode. If you chose "safe mode with networking support" however that's a different story, as you will be able to connect. There are options when you try to boot to safe mode you see.

I close out and go back to safe mode and I can connect with no problems.

Can you confirm which form of safe mode you are using before we continue?

Thanks,
David

Edited by D-Trojanator, 12 January 2006 - 05:52 PM.

#3 jamy1224

jamy1224
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:41 PM

No insults, I appreciate any assistance. Yes, I meant safe mode with networking. As i reread my original post I realized it was a bit confusing. When I am in normal mode I can not access the internet. It is only available with safe mode with networking.
Thanks
Amy

Edited by jamy1224, 12 January 2006 - 11:44 PM.

#4 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 14 January 2006 - 03:42 AM

Hi jamy1224

There are a number of possible ways in which we can try to fix this. Don't worry if the first ones don't work as there should be another solution.

Have you installed any firewalls recently. This may have caused a barrier against the internet meaning that you can't connect if the settings aren't configured.

Another possible problem is that your WinSock chain has been destroyed somehow. You are probably wondering what that is; well not to worry as we have a fix that will repair it for you.

Please boot to safe mode with networking and download Winsock XP Fix to your desktop.

Boot back to normal mode and run the fix.

Reboot and let me know whether you cget your connection back.

David :thumbsup:

#5 jamy1224

jamy1224
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2006 - 08:25 PM

David,
Thanks for the suggestion however I still can't connect. I have turned off the firewalls and ran the program but no luck.

Thanks
Amy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users