Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't restore or repair after failed service pack 2 installation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ulysses13

ulysses13

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:32 AM

Yesterday I tried to install Service Pack 2 for 32bit Vista.

When restarting the screen freezes, showing the following message: !! 0xc0190036 !! 1707/69942 (WMIADAP.EXE)

I've tried running startup repair from a boot disk, but it runs forever (left overnight last time)

The boot disk's system restore doesn't work either - it runs forever on finalising files.

I can't run windows in safe mode either and unfortunately, this is where my rather limited technical expertise (and patience) end!

Is there anything that can be done!? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:14 PM

Please post the entire onscreen error message...and tell us at exactly what point it appears.

Am I to understand...that the system appears to install SP2 correctly...and the error surfaces during the reboot after all files have been installed?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 July 2011 - 01:15 PM.

#3 ulysses13

ulysses13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:36 PM

Thanks Louis,

!! 0xc0190036 !! 1707/69942 (WMIADAP.EXE)

The above error message first appeared when the PC rebooted after shutting itself down whilst installing the service pack. It now appears each and every time I try to switch the PC on. It appears to be counting upwards, but stops at 1707. This also happens while trying to boot in safe mode.

I don't receive error messages when using startup repair or system restore. Startup repair simply hangs while attempting to repair and system restore hangs while finalising files.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:56 PM

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/windows-vista-sp2-installation-error-loop-x64/a1234293-0fc5-4688-8e2a-9229b3ebe365

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-installation-setup/142270-sp1-fails-message-0xc0190036.html

http://ezinearticles.com/?Fixing-0xc0190036-Error-Message-Post-Windows-Update&id=3895286

Looks like you need to try to run chkdsk /r, witn little optimism, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users