Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unable to load windows 7

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Thoy

Thoy

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:34 AM

btw, this laptop belong to a co-worker..

Toshiba Sattelite A505-S6005
Intel i3 M330 @2 2.13GHz
HDD: Hitachi HTS5450b9A300
Memory: Samsung 2GB 2Rx8 PC3 (2)

A week ago was told that after updated AVG then reboot, Toshiba logo came on and take to 'Windows Error Recovery' options. Launch startup repair (recommended) goes into black screen with moving cursor. Starting windows normally will see windows logo with 'Starting Windows' for a several minutes and goes to Windows Error Recovery options.

All the options in Advanced Boot Options have been performed and same result: black screen with moving cursor.
Once in black screen unable to do anything besides moving the cursor. No CTRL+ALT+DEL. Insert recovery cd and can hear it is reading and thats it just black screen with moving cursor.

Boot System Repair disc at startup from dvd-rom, 'windows is loading files....', after a couple minutes goes into black screen with moving cursor.

Other troubleshooting have done: remove battery, remove hard drive, remove memory, running 1 stick of memory : All ended up with black screen with moving cursor.

Have tried another working hard drive with XP from another toshiba laptop, ended up with repair menu, can't even run xp cd to repair either.

Was able to run Puppy Linux from image ISO cd that i created instructed from another link and can watch video and open pictures. So doesn't this tells me that RAM is ok, video card is ok, cpu is ok, hard drive? windows 7?

I can recovery sentimental data thats it. How would i re-install windows 7 if i'm not giving the option. Please help Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 georgemac

georgemac

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:50 PM

are you in a startup repair loop? Because I had that issue..where it just keeps restarting and saying that startup could repair could not fix the problem. I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of this virus

#3 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

The Magician

• Security Colleague
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:05 AM

Hi Thoy. :)

You mentioned you removed some of the hardware. I suggest removing the video card and seeing if it is able to boot without the black screen.

Also, when you first boot your computer hit F2 (might be different for your computer) to get into the BIOS and make sure your HDD is still the primary boot device.
==========

In the event that you can't do either of the above (or they don't work) see if you can do this:

Boot your computer and immediately press F10 and Shift to bring up a command prompt. Type this into the command prompt:

BootRec /FixBoot
BootRec /FixMbr
BootRec /RebuildBCD

NOTE: You may need to go into the BIOS and make the Windows Disc is the primary boot device if the command prompt doesn't work the first time.

See if that works. :thumbup2:

@georgemac: Not so much a virus as a piece of hardware or setting gone wrong. I suggest trying the above if you have a similar problem.

If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal...you become something else entirely. A legend, Mr. Wayne, a legend!

If I have helped you please consider donating to the Neuroscience Research Institute.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Thoy

Thoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:34 AM

Thanks for replies

georgemac : yes it keeps on restarting and goes to 'windows error recovery' screen

The Dark Knight: In Bios, HDD is the primary boot, infact it is reset to default.

F10+shift on start up it goes into 'Edit Boot Options'
Edit Windows boot options for: windows 7

Path: \windows\system32\winload.exe

Partition: 2
Hard Disk: 31ac024b

[ /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN ]

ENTER=Submit ESC=Cancel

i typed what you suggested
[BootRec /FixBoot
[BootRec /FixMBR
[BootRec /RebuildBCD

..it goes into 'starting windows' screen and then black screen with moving cursor
I will remove the video card and will update, in the mean time i need more leads, Thanks

#5 Thoy

Thoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:04 AM

...update

I installed a working hard drive with windows 7 from dell laptop and it work fine. So the video card must be working okay. I guess I wasn't able to run repair due to the system repair disc was a copy? Any idea?

#6 ruffaz

ruffaz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:52 PM

Howdy.

Funny first post but I've been stumbling around the internet all night with exactly the same problem. Just ran into the same issue on two workstations this morning so I thought I'd just add my two cents here....

The culprit is AVG. When you boot, hit f8 and choose "Last known good configuration". This at least gets the OS up and running.

Uninstall AVG.

Hope this helps!!

#7 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

The Magician

• Security Colleague
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:15 PM

Hi Thoy. :)

Is your Windows disc an original or copy? If it is a copy then that could be the reason the repair function is failing.

Now, since you have tried a different HDD and it worked, your old HDD must be the culprit.

Have you been able to boot into Safe Mode? To do this, press F8 as soon as you boot your computer and select Safe Mode. Please post if you can or can't boot into Safe Mode and we will go from there. :thumbup2:

@ruffaz: Your idea would work except Thoy tried all the Advanced Boot Options so that method won't work either.

If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal...you become something else entirely. A legend, Mr. Wayne, a legend!

If I have helped you please consider donating to the Neuroscience Research Institute.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Thoy

Thoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:42 AM

ruffaz: All the advanced boot options doesn't work.

The Dark Knight: Unable to boot in safe mode either. The repair disc was created from the problem hard drive itself. Laptop owner stated that no software came with it.

Seems like windows 7 still there and all the data, since i can access the hard drive with puppy linux. Somehow every time i tried to run the repair disc, it would say 'loading windows files' and goes into black screen. I did check the disc on a pc and looks like it had all the files. I think an original windows 7 disc would repair?

#9 Thoy

Thoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:43 PM

....update

I hook up the hard drive using an adapter via usb port. It showed up as local disk (J:). When i tried to expand it or checking property i get this message : you need to format the disk in drive J:before you can use it. Do you want to format it?
When i double click on the J:, I get this message: Location is not available J:\ is not accessible. Data error (cyclic redundancy check). And ask to format the drive again.

I think at this point it is safe to recover the data with puppy linux and format the disk. I would hate to tell the owner to go buy a new OS. Any more input is appreciated.

#10 georgemac

georgemac

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:19 AM

this is definitely a virus. even though i was able to do a system restore, something is still not right. when i opened up firefox fifteen tabs popped up. Also when im on the internet, either firefox or internet explorer some sites dont come up. this is not a hard drive issue. this is definitely some sort of virus still on my pc. I went to shut down and it says "windows has 114 updates to install". then when i restarted it went back into that startup repair screen. It restarted and I was able to get back on, but there is something wrong

#11 Thoy

Thoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:03 AM

georgemac, at least you are able to get into windows and maybe be able to get rid of the viruses. I on the other hand unable to access windows except using linux to recover data.

#12 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

The Magician

• Security Colleague
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:10 PM

Hi guys. :)

@georgemac: Since you are able to boot into Windows I suggest posting in the Virus removal forum here and see if you can get some expert help on removing the virus, if it is causing your problems.

@Thoy: The hard drive problem you just mentioned is not a good sign. I think your best shot is to recover the data using linux and then reformat the drive. :thumbup2:

Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users