- My budget for the new computer is: <500 GBP
- What are the primary uses for this computer? Word, Excel, Outlook, internet browsing, webmail, social media, music and photo storage/management, editing short video clips, streaming movies (ideally; this last one is less important)
- What software do you intend on using on the computer? MS Office, iTunes, MSN, Skype, Firefox, Picasa, Windows Movie Maker, anti-virus & anti-malware (Avast, Anti-Malware Bytes, etc)
- Do you play games? No
- Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? Yes run lots of programmes at same time!
- Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? Yes (but am happy to use external HD for supplementary storage if necessary)
Other key points:
- I need something lightweight (<4 lbs) - cannot compromise on this as have back condition (my current Toshiba Satellite U205 S5034 is too heavy at 4.2 lbs). If need be, will pay more for something lighter.
- Would prefer dual-core processor (have used Asus notebooks and find them too slow)
- Ideally I'd like something with decent battery life (concerned about longevity - current laptop's battery stopped holding a charge after approx 1.5 years)
- Am currently considering Toshiba NB550D (or Toshiba NB520), although have heard screen resolution is quite poor.
I recognise that I'm asking for a lot of contradictory things (lightweight yet inexpensive; dual-core processor yet good battery life). Most important is weight and performance above all.
Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Edited by katwmn6, 12 July 2011 - 06:40 AM.