Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Failure

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Ortega

Michael Ortega

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:34 AM

Good Morning,

I have a Gateway Laptop with Win 7 installed (No disc included). I installed service pack 1 yesterday and when I booted up this morning Win 7 stalled on the Win 7 screen. I attempted to reboot in safe mode but it stalled there too. I tried using the recovery discs I made when I first purchased the laptop but they did not seem to work at all.
Finally I chose the system recovery option and now Win 7 is gone and all I have is a cute blue screen with little flowers on it...my recovery discs still won't work, and I don't have a Win 7 disc to reinstall...any suggestions would be really appreciated...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:04 AM

have you tried activating the System Re-installation Image?

Can you provide us with the model number of your lap top?

#3 Michael Ortega

Michael Ortega
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:09 AM

The system Model Number is NV54
Intel pp T4400
320 GB HD
4 GB Memory
DVD super Multi DL Drive

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:18 AM

When you say the recovery discs don't work, does the system actually boot to the recovery disc? If not, make sure your cd drive is the first device in the bios boot order.

#5 Michael Ortega

Michael Ortega
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:28 AM

When you say the recovery discs don't work, does the system actually boot to the recovery disc? If not, make sure your cd drive is the first device in the bios boot order.

I can't believe I forgot to do That! I just restarted and hit F3 until setup appeared and switched initial boot device. I restarted and now I have a black screen that is telling me to "please wait a moment". Hopefully this will at least reinstall my back up.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:37 AM

Try the following:

Recovering from the hard drive during startup
To reinstall Windows and all pre-installed software and drivers:
1. Turn on your computer, then press Alt+F10 during startup. Gateway Recovery Management opens.
2. Click on Restore system from factory default.
Caution: Continuing the process will erase all files on your hard drive.
3. Click on Next. Your hard drive’s original, factory-loaded contents are recovered. This process will take several
minutes.

Recovering from your recovery discs
1. Turn on your computer, insert the first system recovery disc into your optical disc drive, then restart your
computer.
2. During startup, press F12 to open the boot menu. The boot menu is where you can select which device to start
from, such as the hard drive or an optical disc.
3. Use your arrow keys to select CDROM/DVD, then press Enter. Windows installs from the recovery disc you
inserted.
4. Insert the second recovery disc when prompted, then follow the on-screen prompts to complete the
recovery.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:45 AM

I can't believe I forgot to do That! I just restarted and hit F3 until setup appeared and switched initial boot device. I restarted and now I have a black screen that is telling me to "please wait a moment". Hopefully this will at least reinstall my back up.

You're not the first and you won't be the last - don't worry about it :)

Keep us posted.

#8 Michael Ortega

Michael Ortega
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:13 AM

This is taking a long time. The first recovery disc is still in with the messege "Please wait a moment" on a black screen. I think it must be at least 15 minutes, maybe more.

#9 Michael Ortega

Michael Ortega
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:14 AM

Try the following:

1. Turn on your computer, then press Alt+F10 during startup. Gateway Recovery Management opens.
3. Click on Next. Your hard drive’s original, factory-loaded contents are recovered. This process will take several
minutes.

1. Turn on your computer, insert the first system recovery disc into your optical disc drive, then restart your
computer.
2. During startup, press F12 to open the boot menu. The boot menu is where you can select which device to start
3. Use your arrow keys to select CDROM/DVD, then press Enter. Windows installs from the recovery disc you
inserted.
4. Insert the second recovery disc when prompted, then follow the on-screen prompts to complete the
recovery.

Thanks for the information! I'm trying the recovery disc method right now. I will try the other if this does not work!

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:14 AM

Well, that's not good. Did you try any of the suggestions in post #6?

#11 Michael Ortega

Michael Ortega
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:37 AM

Try the following:

minutes.

computer.
inserted.
recovery.

Do I need to have a win 7 disk to do the first option of sys recovery. I keep hitting alt f12 but get no menu.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:42 AM

No the information should be on your hard drive on a hidden partition.

#13 Michael Ortega

Michael Ortega
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:27 AM

What is the system re-installation image?

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:33 AM

Its a portion of hard drive space where OEM's put what they used to put on CD's for reinstallation of the Operating System back to out of the box mode.

#15 Michael Ortega

Michael Ortega
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:36 AM

Well I could never get past the Please wait a Minute screen! I tried everything suggested but could not access System Restore. When I did get the machine to boot it goes to a Stock Gateway Image of Powder Blue and Flower designs with no Operating system Present. My Recovery discs that I took so much time and effort to create never got past the Please wait a minute screen!
I do not have a Win 7 Disc sooooo I tried to install Win XP (I still have all my old discs), but I got the Blue Screen of Frustration informing me my progress would be stopped until I got rid of the Virus on my HDD! I ran a Network Cable from my laptop to an uninfected desktop to try to run an Anti-Virus program but could not get the computers to recognize each other. If I can't figure that out soon I will probobly just remove the HDD from the laptop and run a adapter cable directly from the HD to a USB port on my Desktop...
Thats the story so far....
Thanks everyone for all the advice I really do appreciate!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users