Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

downloads capped on wireless PC

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 altern8

altern8

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:37 AM

hi. i am on a 4Mbps internet line. i have a strange situation which i hope somebody here would be able to figure out and tell me what's going on.

i have 3 PCs connected to the internet through a router. i noticed that direct downloads on the 2 PCs that are connected to the router wirelessly are capped at about 50-60kbps/sec per download. just to clarify, i can still achieve a full speed of 400kbps in total, but just that each download is capped at 50-60kbps.

however, on the PC that is connected directly to the router via ethernet cable i am able to download well over 150kbps per download.

so i don't think it's my ISP that is capping my downloads here, but i can't figure out why downloads would be capped on the wireless PCs. is it some settings on my router? i have everything pretty much set on default. the modem is a D-Link 2640B.

any help is appreciated. i really want to solve this issue! thanks!

Eg.

if i download 1 file, the transfer rate is capped at 50-60kb/s.

if i download 2 files, each file is capped at 50-60kb/s.
the total download speed is 100-120kb/s.

if i download 8 files, each file is capped at 50-60kb/s.
the total download speed is 400-480kb/s.

on the ethernet PC, there is no limit to the transfer rate for each download. eg. if i download 1 file it can reach over 150kb/s.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:11 AM

From NEWEGG

Interface ADSL Port (RJ-11)
4 x 10/100 Ethernet Port (RJ-45)
Cable Interface RJ11 port
Standards ADSL Standards:
Multi-mode
Full-rate ANSI T1.413 Issue 2
ITU-T G.992.1 (G.dmt) Annex A/C/I
ITU-T G.992.2 (G.lite) Annex A/C
ITU-T G.994.1 (G.hs)

ADSL2 Standards:
ITU-T G.992.3 (G.dmt.bis) Annex A/J/K/L/M
ITU-T G.992.4 (G.lite.bis) Annex A

ADSL2+ Standards:
ITU-T G.992.5 Annex A/L/M
Max Transmission Rate 24Mbps Downstream, 3.5Mbps Upstream

The wired connection will almost always be faster then the wireless connection. <--FYI

Your limitations are not the ISP speed or the router transfer rates.

What is your signal strength quality of the wireless connection on your laptops?

How many other connections to the wireless signal are their?

Are other users using bandwidth while you are downloading?

From the consistent speed of your downloads it would seem that perhaps the server you download from is limiting you? Or the program you are using, if you were using a torrent client.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 altern8

altern8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:00 AM

Your limitations are not the ISP speed or the router transfer rates.

What is your signal strength quality of the wireless connection on your laptops?

both PCs have a wireless signal strenght of Very Good to Excellent.

How many other connections to the wireless signal are their?

Only the 2 PCs are connected to the router wirelessly. Nothing else is sharing the signal.

Are other users using bandwidth while you are downloading?

this is my home network and i am the only person using it. i have tested the download speeds without any other internet activity going on simultaneously and the result is the same. the transfer rate is capped at 50-60kb/s per download on the wireless PCs while the same single download is able to reach over 150kb/s on the ethernet PC.

From the consistent speed of your downloads it would seem that perhaps the server you download from is limiting you? Or the program you are using, if you were using a torrent client.

i've ruled that out since downloading the same file from the same server gives me contradicting transfer rates on the wireless PCs (50-60kb/s) compared to the ethernet PC (> 150kb/s).

Edited by altern8, 12 July 2011 - 10:01 AM.

#4 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:19 AM

Have you plugged the wireless PC's into the router with a ethernet cord to check if it gets higher download rates?

What wireless (a,b,g,n) signal is the router giving off?

What wireless (a,b,g,n) signals can the wireless adapters see?

Are you using 2.4ghz? I dont believe this router uses dual band, leaving 5ghz out of play.

What encryption type for your wireless security?
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#5 altern8

altern8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:27 AM

hi. thanks again for the feedback. i did some further investigating.

i've tried setting up a different modem/router but the problem remains the same.

as you suggested i tried connecting the wireless PC to the router via ethernet cable. as expected, once connected the PC can download over 150kb/s per download. there is no longer any cap on the transfer rate.

this is so weird... i've another friend who's on the same ISP as me and he said he noticed the same issue with his PCs as well.

further info you requested.

1) the router is giving off a b/g signal.

2) the wireless adapters on the PCs are capable of seeing b/g signals.

3) it's 2.4ghz.

4) i'm using WPA2-PSK security.

hope this helps.

#6 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:59 AM

I would take a look at the wireless adapters the PC's are using, are they using the most up to date drivers? Along with checking for any newer firmware for your router. Clearly something is not quite right on the wireless side of things, if you check the status of the wireless connection does it report the current speed you are connected at, you may see it fluctuate but that's fairly normal.

#7 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:25 AM

Yes, as far as your wireless goes.

You can connect at 54mbps or 11mbps.

Which one does your computer say when you are connected wirelessly.

You should definately do as Dirtdog900 has suggested. This does seem like the most likely cause considering the following:

The 2.4ghz band has plenty of interference to keep your speeds down, like cordless telephones and other wireless devices...especially if you are in an Apartment Complex. Although that is a reason for a bad signal or slow speeds, considering your steady download rate I doubt that is the cause.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#8 altern8

altern8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:41 AM

the wireless adapters on both PCs are already updated with the latest firmware and drivers. the wireless signal is very stable and is usually either "very good" or "excellent". so far i don't have any wireless signal issues. running a speedtest on speedtest.net gives me my maximum download transfer rate of 4.3Mbps.

to answer your question s1lents0ul, the wireless adapters can connect at 54Mbps (very good to excellent signal strength).

yeah, everyone tends to quote wireless signal problems when i tell them my problem but that is clearly not the issue i'm facing. as mentioned, my wireless signal is perfectly fine and my speed test results are optimal. the only issue is that my downloads are capped at 50-60kbps each download.

what's weirder is that i discovered my friend is having the same issue at his home too! now i'm thinking it's the ISP but i can't figure out how or why they would be responsible for such a thing. is it some setting from the ISP end that needs to be configured accordingly on the router? that's the only thing i can think of but i don't really know. :(

#9 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:11 AM

Well, I tried to think outside the box. Its not that we are quoting typical wireless signal problems, but there are things that we cant see from our end that we must cover, so we can help you reach a better conclusion.

My next question, do you use Torrents?

Or any p2p software.

Or download very large files overnight?

Do you run a server for an online game?

Perhaps your ISP had noticed your particular connection using much more bandwidth than they deem average/acceptable. Have you received any letters or emails from them?

You should call them and ask them if there are any restrictions on your account. If not, perhaps you should have one of there Techs come out and chek the signal to your house.

Your connection is ADSL?
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#10 altern8

altern8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:58 AM

thanks, i do appreciate the questions and covering all possible angles to do this problem.

i don't use torrents or p2p software. most of my downloading is through file hosting servers eg. megaupload, fileserve, filesonic, etc. i don't run any servers however i do download quite a bit of large files everyday. as far as i'm aware my ISP does not practice any bandwidth throttling, but even if they did it seems strange to me that only my wireless PCs are being capped. that's what's confusing to me. my ethernet PC can download just fine.

i'm on an ADSL connection.

any other ideas?

#11 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:37 PM

I do not have any other ideas at this time. It seems your wireless adapters, or your routers wireless abilities, are maxed out.

The only other option ihave at this time would be to remove the security passphrase, have an open wireless connection and test that way.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#12 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:24 AM

I would say it's very unlikely your ISP is throttling your wireless devices, they have no access to your router or would be able to tell which device is wireless or not! So I wouldn't worry about that. Did you check the router firmware is up to date? You mentioned the drivers for the wireless adapters are ok but not the router.

Can you run a speed test on one of your wireless laptops? If you use this site http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ and let us know the results or screenshot them here.

#13 altern8

altern8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:35 AM

yup, the router is updated with the latest firmware as well.

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk test results gave me 512ms ping, 2350kbps download and 430kbps upload. of course this are with a UK server.

i usually run my speed tests on speedtest.net cos they give me the option of testing with local servers which normally give me my optimal speed. with a local server on speedtest.net i get 19ms ping, 4.3Mbps download and 430kbps upload.

**BREAKING DISCOVERY**

i was curious if my problem could possibly be an OS issue because all my PCs are running XP so i borrowed my dad's laptop which is on Vista and connected it (wirelessly) to my home network. surprisingly, the laptop was able to download without any limit!!

i managed to find 2 test files links that are useful for download testing which i used to test.

ftp://ftp1.optonline.net/test64
http://test.fileburst.com/50mb-testfile.zip

on both my ethernet PC (running XP SP3) and my dad's wireless laptop (running Vista) the downloads were transferring at over 200kb/s.

on my other two wireless PCs (running XP SP3) the downloads were capped at 50-60kbps.

i think this is a significant discovery, although i don't know what it all means. so we know it's probably an XP issue related to wireless connections but i'm not sure what else to check.

any idea guys? i feel we're getting closer.... thanks for the help!

#14 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:04 PM

Are both the wireless pc's using the same make/model of wireless adapter?

#15 altern8

altern8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:27 PM

nope. different wireless adapters... in fact, i even recently tested a 3rd laptop (also on XP SP3) with a different adapter and it also has its downloads capped. is there some settings in XP related to wireless connections that might cause this behaviour?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users