Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer.EXE failed to load, CHKDISK ran,

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 thobth

thobth

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:32 AM

Hello, I have a dual boot computer running Windows XP Home Edition 2002 SP2 and Ubuntu, that does not load Windows fully.

After powering the computer, I reach a screen to choose the OS to load, after selecting Windows XP I see the standard Windows XP loading screen, then the Log On interface, but with a black background instead of the normal solid blue. After logging on to the computer, after a few seconds it displays the error:

"Explorer.EXE - Application Error The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0150002). Click on OK to terminate the application."

When I click OK, the Start bar doesn't load (because explorer.exe, the user shell, is not running). However, Ctrl+Alt+Delete will not bring up the Task Manager, or produce any noticeable change other than set the CPU / HDD status light flickering. I've let it sit there for a long time and it does nothing, even after pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete again.

After a hard reboot, the same thing happens when I try booting the computer into Safe Mode.

Just before posting, I tried rebooting the computer in safe mode and it froze halfway through loading the Safe Mode initialization files, and I had to force a hard reboot. CHKDISK ran upon powering the computer and it seems to have fixed it's self.

This is the error report.

Error Signature
BCCode: 1000000a BCP1: 00000034 BCP2: 00000002 BCP3: 00000001
BCP4: 806E7A16 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP: 3_0 Product: 768_1

Two files are included in the report:
C:\DOCUME~1\CHAOSW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERe93d.dir00\Mini071211-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\CHAOSW~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERe93d.dir00\sysdata.xml

Please advise. Now that the computer seems to have fixed the Explorer.EXE error, I'd like to figure out how it happened, and how to prevent it from happening again. I will update and run Spybot - Search & Destroy and see what comes up.
Computer #1: OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium MFR & Model: Dell Inc. Inspiron 1464 PROC: Intel Core i3 CPU, M 350 @ 2.27GHz, 2 Cores, 4 Logical PROC RAM: 4.00 GB HD: 500GB ATA VC: Intel HD Graphics (Core i3) Network: COMTREND Wireless ADSL2+ Router Browser & Email: Firefox 4.0, Gmail Anti-Virus/Spyware: McAfee Security Center Firewall: McAfee Security Center
Computer #2: OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Media Center Edition 2002, SP3 MFR & Model: Toshiba Sattelite M115 PROC: Intel T2050 @ 1.60GHz (2 CPUs) RAM: 512 MB HD: 75 GB VC: Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset Family Network: COMTREND Wireless ADSL2+ Router Browser and Email: Firefox 4.0, Gmail Anti-Virus/Spyware: Avast! Antivirus 4.8, MalwareBytes, SUPERAntiSpyware Firewall: ZoneAlarm Free Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thobth

thobth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:44 PM

In addition to numerous tracking cookies, Spybot removed the following files:

Win32.Small.buy
Program directory
c:\Temp\xp34

Win32.Agent.Bbzv
Settings
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\UpdateNf

Is any other action needed? I would like advice on products (preferably free) that would help prevent such infections in the future, in addition to the product I already have.
Computer #1: OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium MFR & Model: Dell Inc. Inspiron 1464 PROC: Intel Core i3 CPU, M 350 @ 2.27GHz, 2 Cores, 4 Logical PROC RAM: 4.00 GB HD: 500GB ATA VC: Intel HD Graphics (Core i3) Network: COMTREND Wireless ADSL2+ Router Browser & Email: Firefox 4.0, Gmail Anti-Virus/Spyware: McAfee Security Center Firewall: McAfee Security Center
Computer #2: OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Media Center Edition 2002, SP3 MFR & Model: Toshiba Sattelite M115 PROC: Intel T2050 @ 1.60GHz (2 CPUs) RAM: 512 MB HD: 75 GB VC: Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset Family Network: COMTREND Wireless ADSL2+ Router Browser and Email: Firefox 4.0, Gmail Anti-Virus/Spyware: Avast! Antivirus 4.8, MalwareBytes, SUPERAntiSpyware Firewall: ZoneAlarm Free Firewall

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:23 PM

Hello lets look at these.. we will address the tools after.
Download Security Check from HERE, and save it to your Desktop.

* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check Posted Image and check Remove found threats
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Push Posted Image

NOTE: In some instances if no malware is found there will be no log produced.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 thobth

thobth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:55 AM

Contents of checkup.txt are as follows:

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.7
Windows XP Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 6 Out of date!
``````````````````````````````
Antivirus/Firewall Check:

Windows Firewall Enabled!
AVG Free 9.0
```````````````````````````````
Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:

MVPS Hosts File
Spybot - Search & Destroy
CCleaner
Java™ 6 Update 24
Java™ 6 Update 4
Out of date Java installed!
Adobe Flash Player 10.2.159.1
Mozilla Firefox (3.6.15)
````````````````````````````````
Process Check:
objlist.exe by Laurent

AVG avgwdsvc.exe
AVG avgrsx.exe
AVG avgnsx.exe
AVG avgemc.exe
``````````End of Log````````````

ESET Online Scan results:

C:\Documents and Settings\Chaoswolf\Desktop\Unused Desktop Shortcuts\frostwire-4.17.0.windows.exe a variant of Win32/AdInstaller application deleted - quarantined
C:\Documents and Settings\Chaoswolf\My Documents\Downloads\Motorola Tools\P2K Easy Tool v3.7\winscard.dll probably a variant of Win32/Agent.EJOPQUD trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\Documents and Settings\Chaoswolf\My Documents\Downloads\Motorola Tools\P2K Easy Tool v3.9\winscard.dll probably a variant of Win32/Agent.EJOPQUD trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\Documents and Settings\Chaoswolf\My Documents\Ebooks\The Sims 2 + All Expansion & Stuff Packs-1\3. Sims 2 Nightlife\Sims 2 Nightlife CD2.iso multiple threats deleted - quarantined
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pac.txt probably a variant of Win32/TrojanDownloader.Agent.JXCMRQU trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined

Edited by thobth, 13 July 2011 - 04:27 AM.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:22 PM

Looks good now. Go into Control Panel,Add Remove Programs (be sure the Show Updates box is checked)and Uninstall this
Java™ 6 Update 4.. Reboot the PC.

I personally use Avira free, Malwarebytes SUperAntispyware and SpywareBlaster.. All free..

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic366982.html
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 thobth

thobth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:54 PM

Thank you for your assistance! However something strange happened when I went to boot up the computer to follow your most recent instructions.

CHKDISK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
Correcting a minor error in file 15.
File verification completed.
Correcting file name errors in in system file record segment 15.
CHKDISK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Deleting index entry change.log in index $I30 of file 19322
Deleting index entry kavuPrimarch.jpg in index $I30 of file 151552
Deleting index entry KAVUPR~1.JPG in index $I30 of file 151552
Index verification completed.
CHKDISK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...

And that's all I could record before a much larger string of text was displayed before the computer rebooted it's self. Second boot up was normal, and uninstall of Java 6 Update 4 proceeded without incident.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:47 PM

I think you should post that box in a new topic in XP and be sure. I believe it was just chkdisk fixing something and now it;s good but the guys up top will know better.

#8 thobth

thobth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:19 PM

Thank you for your time and assistance. I will do as you instructed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users