Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG Full Computer Scan Too Quick?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 broup123

broup123

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:53 AM

Hello.

I have the free version of AVG installed on my computer and run it at least once ever two hours. Each time i scan, I chose to do the whole computer scan, however the scan takes less than 15 minutes to finish. When I first installed it, it would take at least an hour and now it no longer does so. Is this a problem with my computer or AVG? Is it fully scanning my computer or could my computer be unprotected?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

I am running Vista home basic.

(Moderator edit: thread moved to more appropriate forum. jgw)

Edited by jgweed, 12 July 2011 - 07:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:49 AM

1) There is probably a setting not to scan files that are unchanged since the last scan

2) Why on earth would you scan once every two hours? What are you doing that would require such frequent scans? As long as the av is resident, weekly (or more likely MONTHLY) scans should be more than enough for most people.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:11 AM

On most AV's there is a window showing current progress and files being scanned. I know on MSE it shows Elapsed Time for how long the scan has taken.

Depending on the size of the drive and how many files are on it and the speed of the drive to it could very take 15 minutes to scan the drive. It takes me over 6 hours on my drives to perform a complete scan due to the fact I have a lot of files, and they are Serial ATA non-ssd drives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users