Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

startup hangs at a blackscreen with fixed pointer

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 barlow

barlow

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:05 PM

Hello, I don't know if I'm in the right place? Can someone please help me get my computer working again? It freezes at a black screen with a fixed (frozen pointer) on it/ I am a novice user of computers, Win XP SP3 w current updates

Thank you so much
PS I am using my laptop now obviously :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:27 PM

Before we can help you, we need to know a few things:

1) When did this start occuring?

2) Did you change any settings or installed anything before this started?

This information can help us with figuring out what caused this and how we can help you fix this.

#3 barlow

barlow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:31 PM

Hi Josh, It began about two weeks ago, but I have been traveling and away from the now useless computer. I don't recall anything very unusual I did with it, routine MS updates, Webroot security stuff, no suspicious emails opened or links clicked, but I don't discard the infection possibility...
thanks for this prompt reply btw, awesome!

#4 barlow

barlow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:34 PM

I did a system restore about a month ago (I think)to an earlier time when I had some kind of problem, I don't recall exactly, but the computer worked fine, excellently in fact after that? Helps?

#5 barlow

barlow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:36 PM

I remember, it seemed to be running considerably slower, thus the restore.

#6 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:38 PM

Hey...no problem. Okay...the first thing I would recommend is booting into safe mode. You can do this by turning on the computer and repeatedly pressing F8 until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears. Use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode. Hit ENTER. Let it boot...you will see lots of drivers and kernel stuff loading; this is normal. (This is what you would see if Microsoft didn't give us the pretty Windows bootscreen! :lol: ) Anyways, try that and see if it will boot to Windows. If it does, then try to do a System Restore (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore) Follow the prompts and restore back to the point where you remember it working normally. If all goes well, you should be back up and running. :busy:

#7 barlow

barlow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:43 PM

to be a bit more specific on its behavior now, when I turn it off with the power button held for a few seconds and restart it it seems to go through it's normal sequences, I have done this several times. On a few occasions it went to a blue screen and did a Check Disc thing with numerous "stuff" that I don't understand, but when it continued to the start would go to this black screen with frozen mouse pointer in the center of the monitor.

#8 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:47 PM

to be a bit more specific on its behavior now, when I turn it off with the power button held for a few seconds and restart it it seems to go through it's normal sequences, I have done this several times. On a few occasions it went to a blue screen and did a Check Disc thing with numerous "stuff" that I don't understand, but when it continued to the start would go to this black screen with frozen mouse pointer in the center of the monitor.

I would still try to do a restore and see if that helps. It could be that an update somehow wreaked havoc on your computer, or it could be some sort of a malware infection. If it was an update, a system restore should fix this; if it's a malware infection, it will be a bit more complicated fixing this one.

#9 barlow

barlow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:47 PM

Josh, when I tried that, it does not go to page you mentioned, instead i get something like what option do you want to use to boot up with and lists three lines of things begining with Floppy disc 1 or something. I tried using all three options and even inserted the Windows CD in the cd drive, it made a bunch of noise and showed some pages but same ending.

#10 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:51 PM

Josh, when I tried that, it does not go to page you mentioned, instead i get something like what option do you want to use to boot up with and lists three lines of things begining with Floppy disc 1 or something. I tried using all three options and even inserted the Windows CD in the cd drive, it made a bunch of noise and showed some pages but same ending.

What model of computer are you using? If you press F8, it should bring up the Windows boot menu. Did this come up when you saw the manufacturer's logo on the screen, or after?

#11 barlow

barlow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:54 PM

i have an idea, do you have an iPhone4 with facetime by any chance, I was going to let you watch all this happening, sometimes a "picture (video) is worth a thousand replies :wink:

#12 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:55 PM

No...but you could record it and post it to youtube.

#13 barlow

barlow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:57 PM

The computer was made by a friend a few years ago, it has an Intel Pentium D chip or something and runs WIN XP SP3 and all current updates, to @ 3 weeks ago. It has worked fine with the option you are refering to in the past w/ the F8 pressing, but not any more I can also email you screen shots with my phone...?

#14 barlow

barlow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:59 PM

I prefer not to post anything on YouTube, don't want to get "weinered" LOL!

#15 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:07 PM

I prefer not to post anything on YouTube, don't want to get "weinered" LOL!

lol...Well...I don't give out my email on any forums...just for personal reasons and I think it may be against the rules of this board, but I'm not sure about that one. You can post pictures on this thread so we can see what is going on. If I can't help you, another helper on this forum can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users