Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

application not found

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 slant6forever

slant6forever

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:57 PM

Here's some technical data:

the computer is a Dell Inspiron 530
Intel Core 2 Duo DPU
E4600 @ 2.4 GHz
2.39GHz, 2.99 GB Ram
Physical Address Extension

XP Home edition, version 2002, SP3, with Internet Explorer 7

All of a sudden this computer stopped recognizing applications. When you click on word or excel (or just about anything for that matter) you get a box that says "application not found".

This is my daughters computer, and according to her, it just happened out of nowhere - she didn't do anything out of the ordinary, just stopped working.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 21 July 2011 - 08:35 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:44 PM

How about...exact wording of onscreen error messages received?

"Application not found" is just totally meaningless without context and specific wording, IMO.

Louis

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:47 AM

1) You can use this to repair the file associations: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_easy_file.htm

2) The system is probably infected. I suggest you post in the Am I Infected forum.

#4 slant6forever

slant6forever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:14 PM

To Hamluis or Louis:

when I try to open an application, such as word, I get a box that has a red x in the top right corner, the words "Application not found" in the middle of the box along with a round red x and an "OK" button. THAT'S IT!

1) You can use this to repair the file associations: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_easy_file.htm

2) The system is probably infected. I suggest you post in the Am I Infected forum.

Tried this link. It worked in safe mode, but not in regular mode?????

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:38 AM

WHAT worked in safe mode?

#6 slant6forever

slant6forever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:42 PM

This is my daughters computer and she needs it for college. Seems that none of the applications will run. When you click on most of the big programs, ie word, excel etc - you get an "application not found" message. Most of the other applications that do go past that first problem, you get the "what do you want to open with" box. And of course none of it works.

Currently running Avira in safe mode, it didn't run in normal mode. CCPlus in safe mode didn't get much to delete, nor did Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

The office programs work in safe mode.

In regular mode, when I tried to open an application on the control panel "Add or Remove Programs" I get a pop up box with a big red x that says: "C:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe Application not found"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users