Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Internet Security 2012 Virus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Fr3AkAzOiD

Fr3AkAzOiD

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 11 July 2011 - 04:02 PM

short version: I need to know if my wifes important files are safe and can be backed up or are they infected. Also should I fight the virus or reformat the HD and start fresh.

long version:
My wifes computer has a virus and it keeps poping up with a fake scanner calling itself "XP Internet Security 2012".
She has neglected to back up some files on the external hard drive I got for her and now pretty much all the videos we have taken of our daughter for her first 20 months of life are at risk.
I don't want to just move them to the external hard drive without being sure that the videos are not infected. My wife was good about putting all the pictures on the external and I don't want to put them at risk.

The infection is pretty bad as it is not letting me run certain programs or launch anything from the control panel.
My PC (as far as I know) is clean so I have been trying a few antivirus and running them on my PC and all the external hard drives and then putting the anti virus on a SD card I have and putting them on my wifes infected computer.

I only ran one at a time and did a full uninstall before installing the second antivirus. I ran Avast and AVG free on my PC as well as the external hard drives and all showed clean. Avast didn't pick up anything on my wifes computer and I couldn't get AVG installer to launch as I'm assuming the virus prevented it, so I booted in safe mode and even in safe mode under my wifes login the virus was activly running and blocking AVG from working. I then booted in safe mode under the Admin and was able to get AVG to install and it ran on C promt/DOS mode but didn't tell me if it found anything and after it was done it made the computer reboot and then the whole computer locked up on the Welcome screen. Virus still there after I rebooted.

My wife wants me to fix her computer by geting rid of the virus but last time she got a virus I spent over a week messing with it and still not being able to fix it. In the end I just reformated the HD and had the computer up and running the next day. After these files are saved should I try to fix it or just reformat and start off fresh?

I'm realy just hoping you guys can help me with finding out if these files my wife has moved into a folder called "backup" are safe to backup or if they are carying the virus as well.

Computer won't even let me uninstall AVG now. *sigh*

Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:08 PM

Welcome aboard Posted Image

Start with these steps: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-antispyware-2012

Let me know when you're done.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users