Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP will not run ANY setup.exe program

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 hamluis

hamluis

• 53,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:39 PM

Well...I would have run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic, rather than chkdsk /r.

Chkdsk /r is very good with Windows errors...it's not intended to be an all-purpose diagnostic for every hard drive.

Not all hard drive problems...are necessarily detected/overcome by chkdsk /r...the hard drive manufacturers provided diagnostic utilities that are designed to detect situations in the drives they sell, prior to users attempting to obtain an RMA and return the drive as defective. Users can employ these same diagnostics to check the status of the hard drive.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Oechsli

Oechsli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:31 PM

Thanks Louis:

I have downloaded SeaTools and will run the tests

The checkdisk /r did not make any change to the problem

I took a program that would not install (its install program is named: "SETUP.EXE")

I copied the contents of the DVD to the hard drive and renamed the install program from SETUP.EXE to REINSTALL.EXE

The program then installed without incedent.

Call the program setup.exe and the system will not budge
Rename the program to something OTHER than setup.exe and it runs fine.

Virus Scans and MalwareBytes scans reveal nothing malicious present

I will report back on the SeaTools scan.

The above tests make me want to look for malicious code rather than hardware disfunction.

#18 bananagoya

bananagoya

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:37 AM

I got to this website because I couldn't install a program, but some time later I just right-clicked the program installer, and chose Properties, there you can see something like "this program came from another computer ....", just click Unblock. Hope this helps.

nb: wasn't able to install it anyway, maybe the problem is with the computer at my workplace after all.

#19 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 26 May 2017 - 05:21 PM

@bananagoya #18

First of all - welcome to BC !

Secondly, the topic you posted into is almost exactly six years old and from the context of the posts before yours either the OP solved his problem or lost interest in it. Please don't post into ancient topics like this.

Chris Cosgrove

#20 Aesthete18

Aesthete18

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:11 PM

I got to this website because I couldn't install a program, but some time later I just right-clicked the program installer, and chose Properties, there you can see something like "this program came from another computer ....", just click Unblock. Hope this helps.

nb: wasn't able to install it anyway, maybe the problem is with the computer at my workplace after all.

Holy mama! I've been having this problem for some time now and this finally fixed it! I signed up an account just to say thank you!

#21 bananagoya

bananagoya

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:15 AM

@bananagoya #18

First of all - welcome to BC !

Secondly, the topic you posted into is almost exactly six years old and from the context of the posts before yours either the OP solved his problem or lost interest in it. Please don't post into ancient topics like this.

Chris Cosgrove

Sorry for replying to an old post, but I just hoped I could help someone else with the same problem as mine to fix it if they haven't already, thanks for reminding me!

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users