Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

It's Dead Jim / Firefly virus?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OcoeeG

OcoeeG

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:48 AM

I heard you guys are the experts, so I come to seek your advice.
So the other day I got a weird error page on my computer while using Google chrome. It was a blue screen and it said something like It's Dead Jim with a sasd face and then the computer totally rebooted and did an update and proceeded to get slow. I did some research, ran a few scans in both safe mode and regular mode and nothing came up. It got to the point where the computer got so bad I could not so much of anything. So I did a system restore to when I knew it was clean and was able to do a bit more research. I have an Asus Eee netbook. They have a function that allows one to reboot using a partion back to factory settings. I do not have the recovery CDs with me and I am not sure it even came with them. The comp. has no CD drive, so I am not sure if they would do any good anyway. well after restoring factory settings, it was great. I scanned the computer with avast and spyware doc and it came up clean, I also scanned the USB drive that I used to backup my documents and it came up clean. All was good until today when I got the blue screen and the Jim thing again. So far the computer is running fine, but I do not think I am clean. Any info and help in restoring this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Moved topic from Win 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:01 PM

http://www.geekosystem.com/chrome-dead-jim/ Not sure if this will help.

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 OcoeeG

OcoeeG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:06 PM

I saw that too. But after the page comes up the computer restarts. It doesn't just shut down Chrome. But the same text came up and everything. Its weird.

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:10 PM

Are you using Chrome's latest stable version or are you using Beta?
When Chrome updates, does it normally take a complete system reboot or just a browser restart/reboot to complete the update? (Beta or stable versions)

#5 OcoeeG

OcoeeG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 03:09 PM

I just re-downloaded it after I did a factory setting restore, so I imagine it is the stable version. But not 100% sure.

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:32 PM

...I imagine it is the stable version. But not 100% sure.

Check your browser version http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?answer=95414

Click the wrench icon on the browser toolbar and select About Google Chrome. The version number is the series of number beneath the "Google Chrome" heading.
Latest "stable" version is 12.0.742.112 for all platforms. http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/2011/06/stable-channel-update_28.html

ETA: I just noticed this topic has been moved to Am I Infected? forum...You might want to wait for a MRT member to instruct what to do.

"Thug"

Edited by Union_Thug, 11 July 2011 - 05:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users