Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows recovery disk

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 tuckeroo

tuckeroo

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:33 AM

my husband bought our computer used and therefore does not have any of the disks that would have come with it...i have manages to get a copy of the XP reinstallation disk but am having a hard time trying to get the windows recovery disk...any ideas anyone?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:46 AM

I'm sorry, perhaps it's just me but I don't understand the question.

#3 tuckeroo

tuckeroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:56 AM

i have to start from fresh...computer crashed so i have to re-install everything and i do not have the "windows recovery" disk(that is the first disk the computer asks to put in

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:57 AM

Okay. So what is the "XP Reinstallation disk" you said you have?

#5 tuckeroo

tuckeroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:03 AM

i'm sorry, i wish i could tell you...i am not good with computers so i am trying my best to learn as i go, but i brought it in for my friend to see(who DOES know about computers) and she said i would also need the recovery disk. the disk i do have is XP pro service pack 3. the problem i have with my computer is the old "files are missing or corrupt" message when you try to start the computer. when i went in to see if it would take the XP CD the computer sais "insert disk labeled windows recovery"(or something to that effect...been a few days now)

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:20 AM

You are giving bits and pieces. I don't know what the old "files are missing or corrupt" message is. What is the EXACT message you get and EXACTLY when do you get it?

#7 tuckeroo

tuckeroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:27 AM

when i try to boot up the computer the windows screen comes up where the blue squares go across it while it is loading. all of a sudden i get a black screen and it says(as far as i remember...i would have to go home and try it again to get the word for word) could not load files missing or corrupt. does this no matter which way i try to start it(i.e. safe mode or last known good configuration etc). in my (very little) experience from having this happen to some of the computers at my workplace that you have to load all the programs again. am i mistaken?

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:50 AM

Please post the exact message when you can. It's possible it's a corrupt registry hive and if so, and since you have the XP CD, it's very likely an easy fix.

#9 tuckeroo

tuckeroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:06 AM

okay, thanks...to be continued

#10 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:52 PM

Whats the make/model of the system?

Also, check the Windows key sticker on the side of the system to see if it says home or pro and that all the numbers are legible. A pro cd wont work with a home key code & vice versa.

Edit: If the system is a name brand (Dell HP etc)you might check to see if the manufacturer still has recovery cd's available for that system. If they do, it might not be a bad idea to purchase a set for a small fee while they are available.

Edited by Eyesee, 11 July 2011 - 01:54 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:11 PM

Also, check the Windows key sticker on the side of the system to see if it says home or pro and that all the numbers are legible. A pro cd wont work with a home key code & vice versa.

You should be able to boot to the Recovery Console with any XP Cd.

#12 tuckeroo

tuckeroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:55 PM

i was giving you the "old" message...i would turn on, pick last known good configuration, it would act like it was going to start, threw up a blue screen with error message:
(i couldn't see the first letter)P:C000221 unknown hard error
SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll

it is a dell i380 workstation w/64bit technology and has been running the 32 bit xp professional service pack 3...the sticker says xp professional on the computer and i had actually gotten the cd from dell itself when i went to register it into our names foreseeing this event.the cd they sent me is titled(reads):operating system
already installed on your computer
reinstallation cd
microsoft windows xp professional
service pack 3

it goes on to say"
this cd is not for reinstallation of programs or drivers (i am not sure what that means)

when i went looking around this site looking for the instructions to surmount this task i was looking at the KB article 350789 how to run the windows xp system recovery process it talks about a Recovery cd 1.3a and well...i am confused and trying to muddle through

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:58 PM

Okay, it's not a corrupt hive. I suggest you do a repair install:
Boot to the XP CD and choose the SECOND repair option, allowing XP to install on top of itself. After completion you'll need to go to Windows Update and download & install all updates (except for hardware & driver related updates, which should never be downloaded from Windows Update - only from the OEM websites). Here is a clear tutorial on how to perform a repair install: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

#14 tuckeroo

tuckeroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 03:14 PM

okay...will give it a go and let you know. may take a couple of days but thanks for the help so far

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 03:17 PM

Such as it is, but you're welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users