Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are optimization programs any good?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 English Teacher

English Teacher

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:40 AM

Hi everybody,
I was wondering if any of these Maintenance & Optimization programs are any good or are (to some extent) saying things are worse than they really are?. I'm asking because of something which happened yesterday. I have Tuneup Utilities 2011 installed and yesterday I ran a manual scan of the computer with NO problems being found. Less than half an hour later the automatic scan finished, with its little bubble window saying that xx number of problems had been fixed. How is it possible from nothing being found to 70ish problems in less than half an hour. Nothing was deleted or(un)installed! In fact at that time the computer wasn't in use. No network connection either. Am I right in having a doubt about these programs now?
Any thoughts? Has anybody else noticed anything similar?
Thanks
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
If at first you do succeed, try not to look surprised.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:12 AM

I've never found an "optimization" program that wasn't at least 75% snake oil. Certainly, an out-of-the-box Windows machine is not running at 100% possible efficiency, but if "optimizing" Windows were so easily automated you can be certain that Microsoft would have put it in by default.

Aside from the difficulties with automating any real optimizations, most of these apps incorporate questionable features (e.g, registry cleaning) or outright bullbleep features (like RAM defragmenting/optimizing.)

To get your system running at peak power you'll have to get your hands dirty. I highly, highly, highly (did I mention highly?) recommend Koroush Ghazi's Tweaking Companions for Windows (and all his other tweaking guides too.) There's a free version and a "premium" version of each for $4.50. The free versions are excellent, and the premium ones are even better.

Edited by Andrew, 11 July 2011 - 06:14 AM.

#3 Tendoncs

Tendoncs

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:43 PM

I was wondering if any of these Maintenance & Optimization programs are any good

No. Stay away.

I wanted to leave the post here but I will not. I worked in people's homes for 4 years and would see these all the time. A system will run slow for two reasons. Not enough system resources or using too much. This is not one or the other it can be both.

So letís take not enough resources. If we are running window xp on 512 mb of ram. How in the world are we going to make this faster with adding another program on the system?

Now letís take this a step further. We update that system to 2gb of ram but we have 42 programs that want to start up all at the same time. We are now using more then we have. So how is adding another program going to help? It is not we need to take away from the stress on the system. Use MSconfig hijackthis autoruns to take stress off the system.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:58 PM

Unless you are trained in using HiJackthis,you should avoid using it as suggested above.

IMPORTANT NOTE: HijackThis is an advanced enumerator (similar in some respects to a registry editor) that is used to display certain areas of the Windows registry where the majority of malware reside. HijackThis will scan these areas of your system and then create a log to help diagnose the presence of undetected malware in known hiding places. However, since HijackThis only scans certain areas of your system/registry, a log may not always show all the malware on your system and other investigative tools need to be used. Most of the log entries are required to run a computer and removing essential ones can potentially cause serious damage such as loss of Internet connectivity or problems with your operating system which could preventing it from starting. Using HijackThis requires advanced knowledge about the Windows Operating System and relies on trained experts to interpret the log entries and investigate them in order to determine what needs to be fixed.

And just because you "fixed" something with HijackThis, that does not mean you have a clean system. There are specific files and folders which must be deleted afterwards. HijackThis does not delete them. Futher, removing entries in HijackThis before the problem is properly identified can make the malware undetectable to other detection and removal tools. Full system scanning tools like SUPERAntispywre, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Spybot S&D and SpySweeper will remove the registry entries as well as the related files which results in a more complete removal process. HijackThis this should only be used to clean up the entries left behind, after you have properly removed the malware.

Since HijackThis is a powerful tool that requires advanced knowledge about the Operating System and can cause system damage if incorrect instructions are given, only designated trained experts are allowed to help people with using HijackThis. If you do not have advanced knowledge about computers or training in the use of this tool, you should NOT fix anything using HijackThis without consulting a expert as to what to fix.

With that said, there are tutorials available for advanced users which will help you understand more clearly about the use of HijackThis and what it does.

Edited by hamluis, 20 July 2011 - 06:10 PM.
Typo :).

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users