Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 issues plague my system... or do they HELP!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jarazmek

jarazmek

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:37 AM

So I am new to the scene... like five minutes old. I have a problem. I have always built my own computers and they have always been awesome machines, I went to the dark side for a bit checking out apple but I just cant do it I need a PC. So the build

Intel i7 2600K chip
Kingston Hyper X 1600 8GB of RAM (2 x 4GB sticks)
Originally a Rocketfish 700 Watt power supply... thought was the problem so went back to my BFG 800 Watt
OS hard drive is an intel SSD 160 GB
4 other hard drives that are 1TB and lower all SATA and older. (just media storage)
and where I think the problem is... the motherboard. GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3. (usually would buy ASUS but tried to save a buck.)

So the problem.
Everything is installed proper and I in the beginning could not get the OS CD to boot. After I over came that issue everything seemed fine. I loaded the OS all the drivers and started to load my favorite programs. During one update I was required to reboot. As the system was coming back on it hung at the windows animation and static came from the speakers. I cycled power to only get a hard drive not found error. So after I restored the Bios to factory still nothing, changed the boot order to the intel drive nad nothing. Start up recovery tools did nothing. I then reinstalled the OS to a blank fresh formatted intel drive. I needed to move some cables in the system and I unplugged all the SATA cables from the motherboard and when I reconnected them again nothing... I then reloaded the OS again. So here I am in the OS and the SATA DVD burner is detected in the bios and in windows but wont work, says nothing in the drive. This is a new drive by the way. Also only 2 of the 4 hard drives are showing up. again bios sees them windows sees then in device manager but nothing in my computer. So I seached the net for hours, I thought maybe its the master slave thing screwing me up... Leaving the OS drive in its SATA port I unplugged all the extra drives and according to the manual tried to get the DVD player in a slave and a hard drive in a master, and the other two drives went slave and master. Now the system will not boot at all, I get the error just like before. The OS drive never left its SATA port and I restored the BIOS to factory after a number of tries, also made the intel drive boot first.... nothing I Ran HOT CPU tested the other day and it came back clean with not issues on the board or chip. I am at my wits end and ready to shot this thing, one other thing forgot to mention, on the first good install I had when I put any load on the system to muti task it would just drop power and reboot. (thats why I switched the power supply) PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP ME??? I have been kicking myself all week trying to get this system going but I am ready to call it quites. Thanks for any help and sorry if I posted in the wrong area, I searched and got nothing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Thumperrr

Thumperrr

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:19 AM

SATA doesn't use master/slave, so that's not your issue. If these are new drives you just plugged in, it's likely that they haven't been initialized in windows. Windows knows they're there, but they're not displayed because windows hasn't been told to

To see if my theory is correct:
  • right click on my computer, and click Manage. Respond to any UAC box by pressing yes.
  • On the left side of the management console, there's a tree view with several options. Find the one labeled "Disk Management" and click it. The center panel will display disk configuration settings.
  • The center panel is divided in two horizontally. Scroll the bottom one down. If you see any disk that say something like "disk not initialized" or something of that sort, right click it and choose "initialize disk" A wizard should guide you through the partitioning/formatting process.
Afterwards your drive should be viewable in My Computer.

Edited by Thumperrr, 11 July 2011 - 11:20 AM.

#3 jarazmek

jarazmek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:32 AM

Nope, I checked that. at one time the drives were visible but since the re install only 2 pop and the dvd drive is hit or miss. Also I forgot to note that this is 64 bit windows 7

#4 Thumperrr

Thumperrr

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:42 PM

Have you run diagnostics on your drives?

#5 jarazmek

jarazmek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:58 PM

Problem solved... I returned the motherboard due to overwhelming reviews saying that it has nothing but problems with SSD. I guess back to the drawing board. Thanks for all of the input and help here.

#6 Kevin384

Kevin384

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:57 AM

Hi,
I have a question in this regard: was (or is) the board a B3 stepping board? You folks may remember that there was a problem on the early 6-series chipsets that caused the SATA 2 ports to fail, and Intel had the massive recall that cost them something like $700 Million to rectify the problem. I have a Gigabyte GA P67-UD4-B3 board, and have not experienced this problem

Just a thought
Kevin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users