Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD/CD-ROM Disappears

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 baseballdebbie

baseballdebbie

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:04 AM

For the past couple of days my DVD/CD-ROM has been disappearing after I restart. When I go to the device manager it has a yellow triangle and says: This device cannot start. (Code 10) Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

I clicked on update driver software and it says the best driver software for your device is already installed. So next I uninstalled it and restarted the computer. The first time I did it, the drive reappeared. But when I restart it disappeared again.

So I did the regedit and deleted the upperfilters and lowerfilters and restarted. Drive appeared but disappeared as soon as it was restarted. I also went to the Dell website and updated BIOS, which worked for a while but I'm still having the same problem. Now nothing works, should I do a system restore?

Windows Vista Home Basic Service Pack 2
Dell Inspirion 1521
Mobile AMD Sempron™Processor 3600+ 2.00 GHz
2.00 GB
32-bit Operating System

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:08 AM

Have you recently installed any new hw or sw (especially sw related to cd's / dvd's)? Have you had any malware issues?

#3 baseballdebbie

baseballdebbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:07 AM

The only thing I installed were drivers for my android cell phone. But I deleted them after having these issues. No major malware issues at least not that I know of.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:19 AM

It's not a driver issue - optical drives don't use 3rd party drivers. Generally this is caused by the filters (which you done) or a software conflict (anything from iTunes to a virtual drive to cd editing / creating apps). It could be that your drive is on it's way out, but they usually either work or they don't - they do not "come and go". Can you boot to safe mode please and see if the drive is recognized there?

#5 baseballdebbie

baseballdebbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:01 AM

I booted in safe mode and it shows up.

DVD/CD-ROM drives
HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-T21N ATA Device

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:03 AM

Okay. Let's try this:

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#7 baseballdebbie

baseballdebbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:25 AM

The drive shows up during selective startup, so now I'll start to add them back one by one. I'll let you know what happens.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:48 AM

Okay. It appears that a process starting with the system may very well be causing the problem.

Edited by Allan, 11 July 2011 - 09:49 AM.

#9 baseballdebbie

baseballdebbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:48 AM

Everything is working great now, thanks so much! I added all of the processes back one by one and have had no problems so far. I still don't know what the problem was, it had to be a program downloaded with the phone and deleted. I think it was called Android SDK. Could this program have caused the issues?

Edited by baseballdebbie, 11 July 2011 - 10:54 AM.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:55 AM

Who knows? If it happens again you know what to do. Glad everything working now and good luck :)

#11 baseballdebbie

baseballdebbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:22 PM

Thanks again! Appreciate the fast responses.

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:44 PM

Any time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users