Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

trouble with wireless connection

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mmortenson11

mmortenson11

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:10 PM

I am running Windows 7 on an HP Pavillion dv2000

My computer is not recognizing any wireless connections. When I start my computer up, the bottom right corner shows my connection option as the red x through the wire. Usually if I cannot connect to wireless, it would show the wireless symbol with an x. I am currently connected through an ethernet cable. My other computers, phone, and xbox live all are working fine, so I know it is just the computer.

i uploaded a picture of the bottom right of my screen just to clarify.

Any advice would be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 b2012

b2012

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:08 PM

this may be simple, but when you cannot connect to a wireless network, is your ethernet cable plugged into your laptop? I noticed on mine yesterday that wireless doesn't show up at the same time that ethernet cable is in your LAN port. Try disconnecting the ethernet cable and restarting the computer.

You should also check Control panel - Network and sharing center - change adapter setting to see if there is an exclamation point on your wireless card.

#3 Thumperrr

Thumperrr

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:11 PM

Have you restarted your computer?
Usually i find when things muck up, it's best to try to restart first before you start troubleshooting, as that might solve your issues.

Also, is there a button on your laptop that toggles wifi on and off? If so, check to make sure its on. (checking the simple stuff first)

Click Start. Right click on Computer and choose Manage. Choose Device Manager on the left pane. Do any items appear with an yellow exclamation mark on them?

Try resetting your router. Today at work two laptops wouldn't connect to our network, and other computers would connect fine. Restarting the router seemed to solve the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users