Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my computer has gotten sooo slow!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 bigdan1

bigdan1

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:53 PM

Over the last few months my desktop computer's gotten much much slower. I'm not sure what's the cause but it hasn't always been like this. I notice with pictures in particular I really feel it. I recently uploaded some pictures to my laptop, which isn't as strong, and there was such a difference in speed!

I have no viruses or any of that, have made such of that. Can anyone advise as to potential issues?

FYI I'm running XP on a P4 2.66 GHz with 2 GB RAM.

Oh and I don't think its anything to do w/ start-up programs. I've run CCleaner a number of times and disabled most of the stuff.

Thanks
Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:12 PM

Hello bigdan1,

Have you gone through the steps listed here first?

After that, you may want to check how your CPU is doing...

Hold Ctrl+Alt+and press Delete to bring up the task manager.

Under the Performance tab, what is your CPU usage at?

Is it peaking at 100%(this would indicate overheating)?

bloopie

Edited by bloopie reborn, 10 July 2011 - 10:14 PM.

#3 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:12 PM

Is your hard drive full? Have you tried to defragment the hard drive? (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter).
Attached File  disk defrag WinXP.JPG   83.09KB   4 downloads

#4 bigdan1

bigdan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:27 PM

Have you gone through the steps listed here first?

After that, you may want to check how your CPU is doing...

Hold Ctrl+Alt+and press Delete to bring up the task manager.

Under the Performance tab, what is your CPU usage at?

Is it peaking at 100%(this would indicate overheating)?

All except the scandisk step, yes. I'll do the scan tonight.
The performance % keeps changing. At the moment its at 100% although I'm not finding it to be freezing much. I have FireFox, Foxit Reader, uTorrent, and Opera open right now, besides the virus checker and whatever's in the background. I dont think thats enough to warrant the 100% usage.

Btw when I goto the Processes tab for some reason System Idle Process is taking up 99. Why is that? This isn't new I've found this to be the case for weeks, ie a high number for Idle.

Is your hard drive full? Have you tried to defragment the hard drive? (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter).
Attached File  disk defrag WinXP.JPG   83.09KB   4 downloads

Not exactly full, at the moment its at 8% free. Quite low but it was 20% recently and still slow. I defragmented a week ago.

Edited by bigdan1, 10 July 2011 - 11:28 PM.

#5 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:16 PM

Hello again,

I've run CCleaner a number of times and disabled most of the stuff.

Have you run the Disk Cleanup tool that comes bundled with Windows? You can also remove unwanted programs during the cleanup. The Disk Cleanup tool should be found by clicking Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools.

Then, download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop.
(TFC only cleans temp folders. It will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies).
Close any open windows.
  • Double click the TFC icon to run the program
  • TFC will close all open programs itself in order to run,
  • Click the Start button to begin the process.
  • Allow TFC to run uninterrupted.
  • The program should not take long to finish it's job.
Once its finished it should automatically reboot your machine, if it doesn't, manually reboot to ensure a complete clean

NOTE:
It's normal after running TFC cleaner that the PC will be slower to boot the first time.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder.

Use the Windows Error Checking utility (Check Disk), with the options to scan the disk surface for errors, and attempt recovery of data and repair the disk.
  • Open "My Computer"
  • Right-click on the drive that you wish to check > Properties > Tools > and in the "Error checking" section, click on "Check now".
  • Place a tick in both boxes > Start.
  • If the disk you have chosen is the system disk:
  • A message will notify you that a restart is necessary: Click OK, and close all windows.
  • Re-start the computer. The disk will be checked when the system boots.
    This test will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
  • When the disk check is complete, the system will re-start automatically and load Windows.

A log of the disk check is recorded only if the scheduled re-start is used, and only for drives on the same HDD as the Operating System.
To open Event Viewer and view the log:
  • Go to Start > Run > and type eventvwr and press the <ENTER> key.
    The Event Viewer window will open.
  • In the left pane, click on Application.
  • In the right pane, at the top, click on the column heading Source to sort the list alphabetically.
  • Look in the Source column for "Winlogon", with an entry corresponding to the date and time of the disk check.
  • Double-click on that entry to view the log.
  • Click on the Posted Image button to copy the log text to the clipboard.
  • Paste the log text into your next reply.

The system idle process you mention is okay, and do not worry about how much memory it uses. This is usually the percentage of CPU cycles that are not in use. In effect, this process is showing you how idle your computer is.

How are things going now? Do you still have a high CPU usage all the time? Overheating can be the culprit here, and we can take some steps if needed.

bloopie

Edited by bloopie reborn, 11 July 2011 - 07:19 PM.

#6 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:28 PM

If your hard drive is 8% free, you should consider getting a larger hard drive or cleaning it up by deleting unnecessary files; uninstalling programs; and moving document, picture, movie, and music files to an external drive. The fuller the hard drive is, Windows will begin to slow down more and more.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:37 AM

FWIW: Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html

Louis

#8 bigdan1

bigdan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:20 AM

Sorry about the delay. These scans take a while

[/quote]

[quote name='bloopie reborn' timestamp='1310429782' post='2330717']

Have you run the Disk Cleanup tool that comes bundled with Windows? You can also remove unwanted programs during the cleanup. The Disk Cleanup tool should be found by clicking Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools.
[/quote]

Yes I did this. The thing is after some time (prolly over 30 mins) it just didn't seem to be moving at all so i stopped it. Should I do this again?

[quote]
Then, download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop.
[/quote]

TFC is done

[quote]
Use the Windows Error Checking utility (Check Disk), with the options to scan the disk surface for errors, and attempt recovery of data and repair the disk.
  • Open "My Computer"
  • Right-click on the drive that you wish to check > Properties > Tools > and in the "Error checking" section, click on "Check now".
  • Place a tick in both boxes > Start.
  • If the disk you have chosen is the system disk:
  • A message will notify you that a restart is necessary: Click OK, and close all windows.
  • Re-start the computer. The disk will be checked when the system boots.
    This test will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
  • When the disk check is complete, the system will re-start automatically and load Windows.

[/quote]

is this the same thing or similar to the chkdsk or scannow commands?
anyway i did this - dont know exactly what happened. tried it first night, when i woke up 7 hours later it had only done about 30%. had to stop it. started couple times automatically after restarts, so had to cancel. anyway did it last night. when i woke up was at 28%. left it on all day, next my brother looked at the computer a few hours later and it wasnt at the scanning screen anymore. so dont quite know what happened. is there any way of knowing if the scan completed?

#9 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:21 PM

is this the same thing or similar to the chkdsk or scannow commands?

Yes and no...the command chkdsk will scan the drive for errors. The command you would use in this case is:
chkdsk /r
This command will find errors and fix them while trying to retain the information on any bad sectors it finds.

The SFC, or System File Checker is different though. This scan will try to find and replace any bad or corrupt system files if found. This is best run using the correct Operating System installation disc that came with your computer. The correct command for this would be:
sfc /scannow

If you would like I'll provide some proper steps to take with the SFC.

Running the checkdisc will take time, but I think yours is taking too much time. 7 hours is way too long, even with a very large hard drive. A few hours is all it should take.

I think you should first perform the steps in the link hamilus provided in post #7, particularly this link on cleaning out the inside of your computer:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

This may be the issue indeed. The longer your computer is running, the hotter it may get!

Please follow the link above before we continue. :thumbup2:

bloopie

Edited by bloopie reborn, 15 July 2011 - 07:26 PM.

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:18 AM

A log of the disk check is recorded only if the scheduled re-start is used, and only for drives on the same HDD as the Operating System.

• In the right pane, at the top, click on the column heading Source to sort the list alphabetically.
  • Look in the Source column for "Winlogon", with an entry corresponding to the date and time of the disk check.

Please check using the above directions posted by bloopie to see whether or not a log was created. If you find a log, please post it.

Given what has transpired so far, I would advise that you check the HDD as your first priority. This is best done using the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic utility, so firstly we need to know the brand of your HDD. If you do not know what brand it is then use Speccy to find out. We can then provide directions for you to download and use the appropriate utility.

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy, and post a link to it in this thread.
This is a convenient and accurate way of providing us with details of your computer specifications.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#11 bigdan1

bigdan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:32 AM

thanks guys for the help. there's been a delay in the above... i erased my network drivers and now cant connect online so these steps are prolly still possible but too much trouble to do w/o having a connection. if any of you are knowledgeable in fixing this that'd be great. basically what happened is that i looked at device manager to see what problems exist - i found a number of problems but all under network connections (or some similarly named section). and they all seemed to have hotspot or hotspot shield in them. hotspot shield is the name of a software i downloaded to hide my ip. so i figured since they have the yellow exclamations they're not working and are safe to delete. bad move. now i cant connect online. if any of you can advise that'd be great.

In device manager out of the entries left I did see Realtek RTL8139/810x

I went to the Realtek website and downloaded the drivers (or something along those lines) but that didn't fix anything. http://218.210.127.131/

To address the comments above -

Running the checkdisc will take time, but I think yours is taking too much time. 7 hours is way too long, even with a very large hard drive. A few hours is all it should take.

I did Error Checking, is that the same thing as the CheckDisk you're referring to above? The directions for the error checking given below. Btw it didn't take close to 7 hours - 7 hours just did 28%! Dont know how long it took total but based on the above figures I'd guess well over 12 hours.

[list]
[*]Open "My Computer"
[*]Right-click on the drive that you wish to check > Properties > Tools > and in the "Error checking" section, click on "Check now".
[*]Place a tick in both boxes > Start.
[*]If the disk you have chosen is the system disk:

Edited by bigdan1, 16 July 2011 - 02:38 AM.

#12 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:37 PM

7 hours just did 28%! Dont know how long it took total but based on the above figures I'd guess well over 12 hours.

I did get that point. 28% in 7 hours, means just around 25 hours for a full check if each % increase took the same amout of time. :thumbup2:

My concern with that is, IF the CPU is overheating for that length of time, this may cause other damage that we'd like to avoid. And that is the reason I suggested you properly open the case of your computer and clean it out with a can of compressed air, before running these complete scans again.

Aside from that, as AustrAlien has suggested, you may just want to try and find even a partial log from the unfinished checkdisk scans. I'm not sure if they get created from an incomplete scan, but if it does then post it.

And about your internet connections...deleting drivers is not a good idea unless you know exactly what you are deleting. Uninstalling is a better try.

I may be wrong here, but I think there are a few things you could try to resolve your internet connection:

First off, are you using a VPN, connecting through a home router, or just directly connecting to a modem?

If you've just deleted drivers recently, System Restore may work for you. As long as you know WHEN you deleted these drivers. You could try to restore your system to a point just before you deleted drivers, and you may have them back again afterwards.

If you'd like to try this, let us know and we'll provide proper steps if you are unsure!

As Hotspot Shield is a freeware program and you can get it again if you choose, uninstalling it for now may help. If you'd like to first uninstall the program, do so for troubleshooting.

Or if you don't want to uninstall Hotspot, you could try to rollback the drivers that you deleted. This may roll them back to a generic driver that's still on your computer.

Please let us know what type of connection you are using to begin with, and what course of action you'd like to try.

bloopie

Edited by bloopie reborn, 16 July 2011 - 05:38 PM.

#13 bigdan1

bigdan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:21 PM

The system idle process you mention is okay, and do not worry about how much memory it uses. This is usually the percentage of CPU cycles that are not in use. In effect, this process is showing you how idle your computer is.

How are things going now? Do you still have a high CPU usage all the time? Overheating can be the culprit here, and we can take some steps if needed.

bloopie

Here's the log:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 07/14/2011
Time: 8:10:32 PM
User: N/A
Computer: WINXP-A6795C19E
Description:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 12 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 12 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 12 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.
Correcting errors in the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

156280288 KB total disk space.
126902204 KB in 173791 files.
77796 KB in 20663 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
329808 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
28970480 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
39070072 total allocation units on disk.
7242620 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
e0 cc 03 00 9e f7 02 00 3d c4 04 00 00 00 00 00 ........=.......
00 43 00 00 04 00 00 00 b5 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 .C..............
76 96 f9 49 00 00 00 00 14 86 79 0e 01 00 00 00 v..I......y.....
88 f0 58 42 00 00 00 00 8e 4c ec 19 88 00 00 00 ..XB.....L......
5a 5e ee b1 01 00 00 00 2e 1e af 82 8b 00 00 00 Z^..............
99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 a8 39 07 00 df a6 02 00 ..6......9......
00 00 00 00 00 f0 7e 41 1e 00 00 00 b7 50 00 00 ......~A.....P..

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

7 hours just did 28%! Dont know how long it took total but based on the above figures I'd guess well over 12 hours.

I did get that point. 28% in 7 hours, means just around 25 hours for a full check if each % increase took the same amout of time. :thumbup2:

My concern with that is, IF the CPU is overheating for that length of time, this may cause other damage that we'd like to avoid. And that is the reason I suggested you properly open the case of your computer and clean it out with a can of compressed air, before running these complete scans again.

<SNIP>

And about your internet connections...deleting drivers is not a good idea unless you know exactly what you are deleting. Uninstalling is a better try.

I may be wrong here, but I think there are a few things you could try to resolve your internet connection:

First off, are you using a VPN, connecting through a home router, or just directly connecting to a modem?

If you've just deleted drivers recently, System Restore may work for you. As long as you know WHEN you deleted these drivers. You could try to restore your system to a point just before you deleted drivers, and you may have them back again afterwards.

<SNIP>

I cleaned my computer a few days ago on the inside. I don't have an air canister unfortunately. Keep meaning to get one. Cleaned the fan.
I believe there are programs that monitor computer temperature (CoreTemps or something) would you like me to install one of those?

My internet connection is solved! Was quite easy once I knew what to do. Erase the current driver, then let Windows detect it. Solved.

I did try a System Restore earlier today to solve this problem but that didn't work. I tried various ones, like over 10. Each time it gave the same error, I've forgotten the exact message but basically that this isn't complete and can't be done. Now a couple days ago I was told I've used too much of my hard disk to save restore points (I think 10% ?) and was told I could cut it down. I brought it down to 5%. Would this be the reason for this?

Thanks
Dan

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:11 AM

Your chkdsk log looks good and shows that it did run to completion: It found and fixed a few errors, but nothing to be concerned about.

It is not at all uncommon for Windows System Restore not to work because of "corrupt" restore points. The reasons for this corruption can be many and varied, but it hardly matters now, since you have determined that none of them work.

In order to ensure that System Restore is working correctly and that the restore points are clean, you should do the following:

WARNING:
  • The information provided will delete all System Restore points.
  • You will not be able to restore your computer to a time earlier than today.
  • Proceed only if you are sure that your computer is free of malware and is performing well and reliably.
  • This procedure is to be done once only, and not on a regular basis.

How to purge the System Restore Store.

• Turn System Restore OFF:
    • Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    • Click the System Restore tab.
    • Put a check next to "Turn off System Restore on all drives", then click OK.
    • Click Yes when you receive the prompt to the turn off System Restore.
  • Reboot the system.
  • Turn System Restore back ON:
    • Follow the previous steps and uncheck "Turn off System Restore on all drives".
      A new restore point will be automatically created, which may take a short time, so be patient.
    • It is not necessary to have System Restore monitor partitions/drives that Windows is not installed on, so you may turn them off individually now.

Source: Troubleshoot System Restore “Restore Point Failures” in Windows XP

See post # 6 by quietman7 for an alternative (and safe) method of removing old restore points.
============================

Changing the setting to allow just 5% of the drive space to be used for system restore points is fine.
Edit: Nor would it have caused the problem of System Restore not working successfully. Reducing the available percentage of space simply deletes older restore points.

Edited by AustrAlien, 17 July 2011 - 01:21 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#15 bigdan1

bigdan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:48 AM

Please check using the above directions posted by bloopie to see whether or not a log was created. If you find a log, please post it.

Given what has transpired so far, I would advise that you check the HDD as your first priority. This is best done using the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic utility, so firstly we need to know the brand of your HDD. If you do not know what brand it is then use Speccy to find out. We can then provide directions for you to download and use the appropriate utility.

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy, and post a link to it in this thread.
This is a convenient and accurate way of providing us with details of your computer specifications.

Speccy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users