Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Davey Jones

Davey Jones

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:22 PM

Okay, I really dont know if this is the correct forum to be discussing this in, but there's no Help forum of any kind that I've seen. Anyway, onto my problem.

A few days ago, my computer was apparently attacked by somethingor someone. At that time, I believe I didn't havea firewalla enabled of any sort except the crappy WIndows one. I finally installed McAffee, and a few days later, I began to have problems with my computer. It was rapidly slowing down and so I turned it off. When I turned it back on, I couldn't open any files because either the deletion of, or corruption of the rundll32.exe file in the C:\Windows directory. I don't know what exactl is causing this, but now seeing as I can't open any programs after about 10 seconds of logging into my Windows account, I can't install a Malware remover or any kind of that sort. I'm on my dad's computer right now asking for help. I'm going to see if he can get rid of it tonight. But if anything, worse comes to worse, I will probably re-install Windows.

Now, another side note. I need to turn on my computer in Safe Mode and access the System Restore every single time I turn on my computer. So then when it restarts after Sys Restore, I can log into my account, and the first possible 10 seconds of logging in, I can open any program. The only problem I have with that. When I download something such as a remover of some sort, or just plain anything, I can't run the .exe for it to install. And then when I restart my computer, and do the System Restore, it doesn't keep that .exe installer that I just downloaded becauseit backtracks before that. And there is also not enough time for me to download the application, then make a system restore point in any possible way. So I'm here now asking for help, and hopefully somebody can help me in some way. Might I add, it also doesn't work even in Safe Mode.

Help... please? I don't want to lose everything and re-install Windows...

[Moderator edit: moved thread to more appropriate forum. jgweed]

Edited by jgweed, 11 January 2006 - 10:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:37 PM

Okay, I really dont know if this is the correct forum to be discussing this in, but there's no Help forum of any kind that I've seen. Anyway, onto my problem.

A few days ago, my computer was apparently attacked by somethingor someone. At that time, I believe I didn't havea firewalla enabled of any sort except the crappy WIndows one. I finally installed McAffee, and a few days later, I began to have problems with my computer. It was rapidly slowing down and so I turned it off. When I turned it back on, I couldn't open any files because either the deletion of, or corruption of the rundll32.exe file in the C:\Windows directory. I don't know what exactl is causing this, but now seeing as I can't open any programs after about 10 seconds of logging into my Windows account, I can't install a Malware remover or any kind of that sort. I'm on my dad's computer right now asking for help. I'm going to see if he can get rid of it tonight. But if anything, worse comes to worse, I will probably re-install Windows.

k, since you are using your dads' comp, grab an external driver (hard disk or USB) , go to download.com, type in malware removal and do a search :thumbsup: . Download the application onto the external and then boot up your comp , not your dads ones, to the SAFE mode. Then from there, install the application and after which restart it and run it. There are other options also, you can either do a restore to earlier trusted time or you can try remove the macaffee....all these done thru the safe mode. :huh:

Now, another side note. I need to turn on my computer in Safe Mode and access the System Restore every single time I turn on my computer. So then when it restarts after Sys Restore, I can log into my account, and the first possible 10 seconds of logging in, I can open any program. The only problem I have with that. When I download something such as a remover of some sort, or just plain anything, I can't run the .exe for it to install. And then when I restart my computer, and do the System Restore, it doesn't keep that .exe installer that I just downloaded becauseit backtracks before that. And there is also not enough time for me to download the application, then make a system restore point in any possible way. So I'm here now asking for help, and hopefully somebody can help me in some way. Might I add, it also doesn't work even in Safe Mode.

Help... please? I don't want to lose everything and re-install Windows...

When u run safe mode for troubleshooting, i would normally recommend to isolate network connections.....load any s/w from other comp, its better....one worry lesser. There are other options to do also, like booting it up to another separate OS environment to solve your problem.....but its not too clear on what could have happen but please do not do too many restore point as i have met corrupted restore point because once you have been attack by malware :flowers: and other viruses/ adware :inlove: , you are suppose to diable your restore point because if it creates one, its as good as its there forever whenever u do a restore point. Try the methods i proposed and if it dosen get any better....post the result and we will assist you further...

Good Luck! :trumpet:

CHEERS! :huh:
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

#3 Davey Jones

Davey Jones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:40 PM

Alright, thanks. I'm going to try to find a USB one, I saw one lying around my kitchen awhile back, hopefully it's here somewhere.

#4 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 12 January 2006 - 03:56 AM

If you think you are infected submit a hijackthis log to the HJT Forum.

How to submit a hijackthis log

Download Hijackthis

Try running the following from safe mode (Getting to safe-mode) Sysclean you'll also need the virus template file from here lpt***.zip remember to extract the contents of the zip file into the same folder as Sysclean.com

or

DrWeb CureIT

or

KASFX which is powered by the Kaspersky AV engine, you will need internet access to update it. If you haven't got net access in safe mode, update it before you use it.

If your good with the command line also try Sophos Command Line scanner this command will scan all of your hdd's SAV32CLI.EXE -F -di -remove -dn -mbr -all -zip -p=avscanlog.txt and give you a log file to review afterwards.

Also try installing and running A2 Free and Ewido again run from safe mode.

I'd also run Spybot(Spybot Tutorial) and Adaware

If your using Win2K/XP run adaware/spybot from "safe mode with command prompt" If your using Win9x just run it from safe mode the command line options aren't needed..

At the C:\ prompt type the following:-

cd\
C:\progra~1\spybot~1\spybotsd.exe /autocheck /autofix
cd\
C:\progra~1\lavasoft\ad-awa~1\ad-aware.exe

#5 Davey Jones

Davey Jones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:58 PM

Tanks for the help guys, but nothing could work. :'( So I worked with my dad last night and we decided to just re-install Windows. This virus or whatever it was... It was major. Watch out for it please. I'd feel bad if anyone else got it, seeing as what I went through. Ughh... Anyway, thanks. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users