Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Ram - Technical Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 penmark

penmark

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:17 PM

I bought a new Compaq Presario laptop, and the specs say it has 256mb of PC2100, (266MHZ) DDR-SDRAM, with a max capacity of 1G. So I went out and bought 1G (2-512mb modules, same specs). When I opened up the memory compartment and removed the memory the laptop came with, it was marked 256mb, DDR, 333 mhz, PC 2700.

My questions:

Are the two types of memory interchangeable?
Can using PC 2700 333 mhz harm the computer if it is meant to run PC2100, 266 mhz?
If I use the PC2100, 266mhz, will my computer run slower?
What should I do?

Thanks.

Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 AL...

AL...

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 12 January 2006 - 03:16 AM

Hi penmark. Chances are you have the faster RAM installed cause it was cheaper at the time. It should (and did) self configure and you can mix them (not in the older comp's people they dont like it) without to much of a drama. As for speed, if your motherboard's set for PC2100 then that's what it expects and is as fast as it can go (tweaks aside).

Hope this help's.

Al.
Your interests (Check Length), Your location (Check Length). What if I dont need to check my length?
Religion has a built-in defense system: anything that questions a belief, no matter how logical the argument is, is the work of "the devil" by the very fact that it makes you question a belief.
Don't eat yellow snow.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 05:50 AM

What is the Series and Model number of the laptop?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 penmark

penmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2006 - 08:05 PM

it's a compaq presario m2401xt.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2006 - 12:13 PM

According to the manual that Laptop should have come with 256-MB DDR2 synchronous DRAM (SDRAM) at 400 MHz, expandable to 1.0 GB so what you have bought should work fine.

Can using PC 2700 333 mhz harm the computer if it is meant to run PC2100, 266 mhz?
If I use the PC2100, 266mhz, will my computer run slower?

If you use incompatible memory your computer simply won't boot. 333Mhz ram will run faster than 266Mhz. If you mix the two it will run at the speed of the slower one.

Maintenance and Service Guide Compaq Presario M2000 Notebook PC

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 penmark

penmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:26 PM

turns out the computer was meant to run PC2100, 266 MHz. I ran CPU-Z with the 333 MHz module installed, and the 266 MHz module installed, and the frequency for both was 133 (which, x2 equals 266). So, I concluded that although it accepts the 333 MHz memory and runs, it only recognizes it as 266MHz memory. Thanks for all your help.

Edited by penmark, 14 January 2006 - 11:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users