Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Win Xp

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:16 PM

Ok I got an old PII runs at 233 with about 128mb of ram and a 40gig hdd. I was wondering if I can install Windows XP onto it before I go out and buy the stuff and also I can't boot from a cd-rom so I have to boot from a floppy so it reconizes the cd-rom drive. Can you do this with xp...

BTW the computer is currently running on Win 98 and I would like to change it over to xp to make it easier to network with my other computers.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:42 PM

Not Recommended. My users uses PIII 700MHZ with 512mb SD ram is already having problems running its Win2K. Moreover, your specs are much lower....... Software needs good Hardware to compliment each other. However, if you really wanna go ahead, do grab a XP pro edt.

As for installation, u can try grab external CD rom or use external hard disk to run. i have tried both and works perfectly well.
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:45 PM

Ok thanks

#4 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:59 PM

Most welcome ....... presume u got to purchase a new system.
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.

#5 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:04 PM

Not really got a P4 win xp sp2 one gig of ram and the hole gaming machine just wanted to have my old computer running xp for compatibility reasons.

But I hope next year I will have enough money to build myself a real gaming machine :thumbsup:.

#6 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:09 PM

Whoa gaming machines huh .... really got to plan it out.....but a AMD hyperthreading processor will do u better...just a suggestion.

#7 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 07:58 AM

Yeah there more expensive and my parents didn't want to pay for it buy I will get it.

Getting myself a machine cause i'm tired of sharing with my brother.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users