Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extremely Slow Laptop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wefromo

wefromo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:30 PM

Thinkpad T42 with one Gig of memory. Win XP, everything works but it is terribly slow, like maybe 30 minutes to boot up and crashes frequently before completing boot. It may finally boot up but if so will take another 30 or so minutes to load browser. It has two 512 mb memory cards. Have tried taking out first one then the other, switching them, etc. but nothing seems to change. Haven't been able to keep it logged on long enough to download and run memtest. Sort of figured it unlikely to be a bad memory card since switching, eliminating one, etc didn't make any diff. Must either both be bad or something else, me thinks. Also, have checked hard drive with XP utility and it checks out ok. Could it be something as simple as MB battery? Any ideas anyone?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wefromo

wefromo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:37 PM

Also, I should mention that I have recently done a complete reformat of hard drive with a fresh new installation of Win XP so unlikely anything nasty could be affecting the OS me thinks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users