Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access all of my files after transfering files to external harddrive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mrs Pinnacle

Mrs Pinnacle

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:48 PM

Moved all files (including itunes) to an external hard drive and now I can't locate ANY of my music files. I had to move all of my files to an external harddrive , because my laptop was so physically damaged to a degree where I could not view any of the files saved on my internal harddrive because my video output had been physically damaged. I inserted my harddrive into a new computer, but I got a 2010 error and a BSOD screen.Inorder to access the files to my internal harddrive, I had to boot from a linux live ubuntu CD ; I clicked on the "try ubuntu" option, and It took me to a trial linux OS before I install it. I click on the files and folders icon, and it displayed my 320 gb wd hdd and my external harddrive and it said I had 243.5 gb of free space which I believe is correct. When I clicked on the "program files" folder and on the "itunes" folder, it isn't showing any of my 8.5 gb worth of music and podcasts. It isn't showing any of my word document files either. I then uploaded the files stored onto my external harddrivie onto the desktop of a windows screen of a different computer; clicked search All for all of the files on my external hard drive and its showing a lot of files that I don't recognize thats on my external harddrive . What is an object.xib?I then preceded to go to the search How do I gain access to all of my files , including my itunes library.?

Edited by Mrs Pinnacle, 10 July 2011 - 02:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mrs Pinnacle

Mrs Pinnacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:31 PM

please help.

#3 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:01 PM

While you are in windows have you set your folder option to "view hidden files" ? Object.xib is usually a permissions issue when dealing with linux, and since you used linux as a medium to transfer the files we may be facing an issue because of that.

#4 Mrs Pinnacle

Mrs Pinnacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:28 PM

This is all strange. When I ran my 320 gb wd hdd containing the vista operating system onto my R51 thinkpad laptop, I could view all of my files. Of course my R51 thinkpad laptop got damaged and had to get a new laptop to continue to use my hdd. I got the T43 thinkpad laptop and of course could not immediately use my 320 gb wd hdd because of the 2010 error and the blue screen of death. I continued to used my R51 laptop until it was completely damaged. Obtained a linux live CD and insert my 320 wd gb hdd into the slot of my T43 laptop , and accessed my files through the linux trial operating system , and did not see all of my files, even though my properties showed that my harddrive had a significant amount of free space, the same amount of free space that was used when I used my hdd on my R51 laptop. All I saw was when I clicked on each of the folders of my hard drive in linux was about 700 mb - 1.5 gb of space each time I clicked on the folders.

I talk to a person who works in IT and they've told me that sometimes when you are transferring files from a harddrive disk to an external hard drive, the systems files sometimes will not transfer. But I not even sure if this is the problem, because when I access my 320 gb hdd from a boot linux live cd, I don't see all of my files. I see the programs, but not my files that I saved the programs and applications in.

Edited by hamluis, 12 July 2011 - 11:15 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote.

#5 Mrs Pinnacle

Mrs Pinnacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:14 PM

So, what do you recommend me do?

Edited by hamluis, 12 July 2011 - 11:16 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote.

#6 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:55 PM

My suggestion would be to purchase an external HDD enclosure. I know purchasing an extra device is a downer but it's a sure way to get those files off the old HDD to a different computer. I'm not a linux guru so I can't guide you on how to use it to get the files, but when it comes to enclosures and transferring I'm very familiar with. Now you IT person was correct "file systems" will never "transfer" because each HDD is configured to a different file system (for example NTFS, FAT, FAT32, EX FAT..etc) and transferring isn't applicable, but thats not the issue lol. As long as your HDD is in working condition all you files on it are transferable with the exception of temp files/folders with extremely long names. Here are some external enclosure cases http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000092&IsNodeId=1&Description=enclosure%20case&name=External%20Enclosures&Order=BESTMATCH

You just have to make sure the sizing matches 3.5" for desktop HDD's 2.5" for laptop HDD's, and the connection type.. less than 5 years old should be SATA..

Now you could always purchase and enclosure from best buy and return it.

#7 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:24 PM

"I'm not a linux guru so I can't guide you on how to use it to get the files"

i'm not a linux 'guru' either, but you get a live linux cd, boot from it, find the files (with ubuntu the windows partition will be under 'places'), highlight them, right-click and select 'copy'. under 'places' your external hard drive should also be listed. navigate to where you want to put the new files (anywhere should work), right-click and select 'paste'. if everything is working properly, the computer will copy your files there. it will be slow however, because it is running from the disk which is much slower than booting to a hard drive OS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users