Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Error message on boot up - HELP!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 audiodrome

audiodrome

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:36 PM

For the past couple of days I've been getting a message during the BIOS boot process saying "Disk Error Occurred / Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart."
Then it would usually boot up after a few tries, but today it took about 30 tries. After those 30 tries I went into the BIOS and changed the boot order and then after a few more tries it finally booted up, but that's probably just be a coincidence. Sometimes it would automatically launch DiskCheck with a message saying "Checking File Systems / One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency." When it failed to boot up after this I ran Disk Check again and checked the box "Automatically Fix File System Errors" and as it ran the program I could see it fixing things such as, "Deleting Corrupt Attribute Record" but obviously this didn't work.

There were a few other strange incidences before this problem appeared. My daughter told me that YouTube was not working (no videos would play) and I discovered that my Flash Player had been corrupted. When I tried to fix it, it gave me a lot of grief, with the Adobe webpages freezing up and having to reinstall it a couple of times before it would work properly. At the same time there were a few other programs behaving strangely but now everything seems to be back to normal, aside from the disk error issue.

Beside Disk Check, which didn't seem to do anything, is there anything else I can do to solve this problem or should I just take it as a sign that my hard drive is failing? Should I try to run the diagnostic tools that came with the drive?

Windows XP Home Edition SP3
AMD Athlon™ 64X2 Dual
Core Processor 5200+
2.71 GHz / 3.25 GB RAM

DRIVE 1: WDC WD2500AAKS-00VYA0
DRIVE 2: WDC WD3200AAJB-00WGA0

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:33 PM

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistasetup/thread/37f1395e-8331-46c4-882d-78d111005f48

My opinion...it can be a number of things...if you Google that error, you will see a range of opinions that amount to guesses, IMO :).

If the system had been functioning properly and this happened out of the blue...I would probably change the CMOS battery, if only to eliminate that as a contender.

I might also try the fixmbr command from the XP Recovery Console, if changing the CMOS battery proved to have a non-impact.

And I would run the following command: Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in new screen and hit Enter. Reboot the system. The command will execute before booting into Windows. Since you already have had indications that this needs to be done, I would do it before doing anything else...and see if the problems disappear.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 10 July 2011 - 02:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users