Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Folding@home question

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:15 PM

I was looking through some different topics on the board and found a lot of info on Folding@home here, so I hope I'm posting in the correct place. There is so......... much info, that's it's a bit overwhelming and confusing to me, so I thought I'd start a new post with my specific concerns. Folding@home is something I've been wanting to get into for quite awhile.

I set it up on my backup machine which uses XP Pro ( and Mint on a second partition ). Here are some specs, I'm not sure if this is all you need - -

Gateway E 4000 400828

XP Pro SP3

2.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4

I set it up for the BC team - 38444. After running for about twelve hours, the icon shows - 2700/10000. So I guess it's running ok.

Now for my questions - will it hurt the processor running wide open 24 hours a day? Does this old machine have enough "oomph" to make this worthwhile? I rarely use this machine, so I don't mind it being "tied up". This seems like a wonderful project, and I just wanted to be sure my efforts were worthwhile to contribute to it.

EDIT - - - I forgot to mention I use broadband cable.

Thanks, Keith

Edited by Keith1, 10 July 2011 - 12:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:00 PM

Hi Keith, and welcome to Team 38444.

I have run 24/7 on several computers at once for years now and can't say I have ever had a problem which could be attributed to that. I figure that is what they are built to do.

Worthwhile: Every bit of extra info counts. Who knows, it just might be your contribution that finishes off a major breakthrough to find that miraculous cure we are all looking for.

Broadband - F@H uses negligible bandwidth. A Work Unit is downloaded to your computer, and the completed unit is uploaded. Only seconds of actual internet use.

Time - Units vary in size and difficulty so the time taken to complete them varies widely. The PS3 folds extremely well with a special client and mine does 6 WU/day. My graphics (GPU) client on a GT240 also does 6 per day but the CPU clients on other machines can take days. It all helps.

If you have any other questions, please add a reply in the Folding thread where those interested in this topic will see it. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic132716.html/page__pid__2356750__st__360#entry2356750

To see the current state of work, right click on the icon and choose Status/Log File. Team results can be viewed at a number of sites but I like this one -
http://kakaostats.com/t.php?filter=all&col=2&t=38444&search_text=
Results take a wee while to show up.

For anyone who has no idea what we are on about, Folding at Home is a Stanford University project using millions of individual computers just like yours to try and find a cure for the diseases which we suffer from today, so it is really worthwhile IMHO. It works like a correspondence school and security is paramount.
http://folding.stanford.edu/

Fold on team 38444

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:44 PM

Anything helps. Keep an eye on system temperatures just to make sure the Computer doesn't overheat (most likely it will not but it may). If you're worried about it taking too long there is an option in settings to request work units without a time requirement, there is also an option to request large work units which take longer (both the window and *nix clients have these options)

Posted Image

#4 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:05 PM

Thank you very much for the information - my old machine is "putting along" for F@H as I type, I'm glad to be a part of a good cause.

I would like to add my main machine to this cause also - it's a custom build with duo-core processor, but I have one problem with that. This machine runs Ubuntu Linux 11.04, and from Googling around to find out how to set it up to use F@H, It looks like a major operation to me - a lot of stuff I may not know how to do. I'm wondering what would be the easiest way to do it?

Thanks, Keith

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:28 PM

I see what you mean, LOL. http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=5062

BlackSpyder is our Linux king, so maybe he has some more for you. Also, if your machine starts to overheat, just configure a lesser % of CPU use. Or of course check out the amount of dust in fans and heatsinks - an annual job anyway.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#6 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:32 AM

Thanks Row, I'll keep an eye out for that.

#7 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:11 PM

BlackSpyder is our Linux king

Pat me on the back a little harder next time, you didn't break any ribs. LOL.

I haven't run the new Linux client yet but the classic Uniprocessor client is not all that hard to set up just follow the instructions here Linux install guide . Few notes: Use the wget method for downloading, if your PC has long uptimes you don't have to run as service part of the guide (just remember to resart F@H everytime you reboot your PC). If you need any help you can usually catch me in the bleeping computer IRC chatroom 5pm-10pm EST or you can PM me.

Posted Image

#8 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:36 AM

BTW Keith1

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MATE.

Here's a couple of Cakes to share with the Helpers here. They Love their Cake.

Posted Image

Posted Image

RaY.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#9 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:11 AM

Thank you for the information Spyder, I'll be working on that this afternoon...... I'll post back how it goes.

And thank you for the birthday greeting Dog, a piece of that cake would go well with my cup of coffee right now.

#10 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:27 AM

You are very welcomed, Mate

Love to see you helping others

Ray

Edited by Drovers Dog, 04 August 2011 - 08:31 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#11 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2011 - 04:22 PM

BlackSpyder - I appreciate your offer to help with this. If it's ok with you, I would like to keep it here to be visible in case anyone else encounters these problems.

Following the directions to a tee, I got this far -

Posted Image

Then ran into a problem at this point -

Posted Image

Was I supposed to extract the file - I didn't see any directions to that effect.

Edited by Keith1, 05 August 2011 - 04:23 PM.

#12 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:27 PM

yeah the directions are a little poor at that point. I don't know why they left out the step to unpack it (even though they show it in the example)

user@box ~ $ mkdir -p ~/folding  
user@box ~ $ cd ~/folding  
user@box FAH $ curl -O [url="http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/FAH6.34-Linux64.tgz"]http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/FAH6.34-Linux64.tgz[/url]  
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current  
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed  
100 138k 100 138k 0 0 34461 0 0:00:04 0:00:04 --:--:-- 39789  
user@box FAH $ tar xzf FAH6.34-Linux64.tgz   
user@box FAH $ ls -la  
total 960  
drwxr-xr-x 5 user guest 170 Nov 6 23:58 .  
drwx------ 18 user guest 612 Nov 6 23:55 ..  
-rw-r--r-- 1 user guest 138145 Nov 6 23:56 FAH6.34-Linux64.tgz  
-rwxr-xr-x 1 user guest 282796 Nov 4 07:04 fah6  
-rwxr-xr-x 1 user guest 60156 Oct 27 16:52 mpiexec  
user@box FAH $ ./fah6 -configonly  
user@box FAH $ echo "./fah6 -verbosity 9 $*" > fah  
user@box FAH $ chmod +x fah  
user@box FAH $ ./fah  

You are at the tar command part but you need to change the command from the version listed in the example to your version. So your command will actually be
tar xzf FAH6.02-Linux.tgz

Posted Image

#13 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:47 PM

Wow!!!!! This is quite a Linux learning experience for me. I try to look at what is going on at each step, but I still get overwhelmed sometimes - and....... I don't give up!!!!!

Ok, I really appreciate your help BlackSpyder, and I think I actually have it going now..... I grabbed a couple of quick screenshots for you to see where I'm at.

Posted Image

Posted Image

A few questions -

Since I started it from a terminal, I need to keep the terminal open for it to run?

I can still do my normal work, including opening another terminal?

What is the best way for me to monitor the team progress here?

Many thanks again, Keith

EDIT - ok, it's working, I just checked and it shows 44%.

Edited by Keith1, 08 August 2011 - 09:13 AM.

#14 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:55 PM

You have to leave the terminal up unless you have it set to "run as service". When I was running the Linux client I was using a tabbed terminal (dependency hell, since it was a KDE terminal and I was using Gnome). Team Satas and rankings can be found here http://fah-web.stanford.edu/teamstats/team38444.html

Posted Image

#15 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:07 PM

Thank you, everything seems to be fine now. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users