Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox 6, Beta 1 Available

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:15 PM

Release News: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/6.0beta/releasenotes/
Download Firefox Beta in your language:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 booterbotter

booterbotter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:29 PM

Thanks for the update Allan.
Wow! Firefox 4, Firefox 5, now Firefox 6 beta?
And it's less than 6 months that they have released Firefox 4, the way they release their program updates are way TOO fast. :hysterical:

Patience is a true virtue. Never give up, never surrender.
BleepingComputer.com Message Board Rules

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:41 PM

Yeah, it's the new rapid release cycle Mozilla has adopted (which I don't agree with). I'm hoping there will actually be some incentive to upgrade to version 6, 7, etc. (i.e. new features) besides just the security update. That's what MINOR releases are for.

It's okay that Firefox is developed slower than Google Chrome, but don't try to artificially "speed up" the release by slapping a higher number on there every 6 weeks.

Btw, thanks for the update, Allan.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:27 PM

Stuff this update, i'm not risking my add-ons again <_<

Edited by killerx525, 10 July 2011 - 07:27 PM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:00 PM

You can use the Addon Compatibility Reporter addon to re-enable addons which are marked as incompatible. Most addons are compatible, but Mozilla tends to err way over on the side of caution. For example, I have an addon which I haven't updated in 2 years because the devs added a few things I absolutely hated. Still works even though it's 2 major versions out of date :P

#6 JosiahK

JosiahK

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:39 PM

I don't like the rapid release system either. It's just bigger numbers without significant changes to the code.
Quod non mortiferum, fortiorem me facit.
I don't read minds. Please help everyone by answering any questions and reporting on the results of any instructions. Query any concerns and explain problems or complications.

#7 Allan

Allan
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:42 PM

Personally, I don't see where there's anything to like or dislike. It's just what they're doing now. If it had always been this way we wouldn't know any different.

#8 JosiahK

JosiahK

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:51 PM

While I agree that people get accustomed to what happens, I do think that there are some methods that are better than others and you can rationally form an opinion on which is which. In this instance, I think that the simple pace of the update schedule unwarranted. Especially in the case of firefox, because of its inherent customization capacity and vast addon base, there is no need to rush out new releases for new feature reasons. Meanwhile they deprive people of support for what are actually quite new versions and must introduce problems with the quick releases too.
Quod non mortiferum, fortiorem me facit.
I don't read minds. Please help everyone by answering any questions and reporting on the results of any instructions. Query any concerns and explain problems or complications.

#9 focalpoynt

focalpoynt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:31 PM

Stuff this update, i'm not risking my add-ons again <_<

Yeah! I just spent an hour today trying to get 5.0 to present as 3.6 in about:config and install.rdf.
This rapid version escalation is so phoney to experienced users but Mozilla must be trying to impress average Joe Blow. It damages their rep, in my opinion.

#10 Allan

Allan
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:32 PM

They're not trying to impress anyone. It's just the model they've decided to go with.

#11 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:07 PM

I'm in complete agreement with this article by Dedoimedo when it comes to their model.
It's nice to be important, it's much more important to be nice.

#12 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:28 PM

+1
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web