Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excessive Hardware Interrupts

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:42 AM

Dell Optiplex GSX270 1gb RAM, 2.4gHz Processor, XP/PRO

I just installed a Maxtor 6L04032 40 GB secondary IDE Hard Drive to use for backup.
Formatted it to NTFS.
The backup Software (Acronis) estimated 1 hour 30 min or so to backup 14 Gig. This is way too long, and should only take 15 minutes, or less. (15 minutes on my other Dell 1.7 gHz machine. (Dell Dimension 4400)

When I looked at process explorer, the following resource was using 85 to 95% CPU.

Interrupts Hardware Interrupts & DPC - Showing 0k private and 0k working set.

Tried to update driver, but said I had the most recent one.

Any help is much appreciated.

Backed up files on DELL Dimension 4400 XP Home to two different drives. Ran a-ok
Used those same two disks in DELL Omniplex XP PRO - High % Interrupts both drives.

Edited by USN Vet, 10 July 2011 - 02:34 PM.

Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:51 AM

Take a look, http://forum.sysinternals.com/tracing-hardware-interrupts-and-dpc-with-xperf_topic20970.html AND http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc938646.aspx .

Louis

#3 USN Vet

USN Vet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:45 PM

Thanks, looked thru the links you provided - way too over this head to be of value.

PS: I have tried two different drives in the Omniplex (XP PRO) with the same high Interrupt percentage.
Put them back in the DELL Dimension 4400 (XP Home) Run the same software to backup, and everything is fine.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:55 PM

Glad you resolved it :).

I seldom have problems with backup/partition softwaare...but when I do, I just delete/uninstall and try it again after running checks on the hard drive/partitions.

Happy computing :)>

Louis

#5 USN Vet

USN Vet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:31 AM

That was not a resolution. What I was saying is that when running those two drives, one at a time, on the XP Pro computer, the interrupt problem persisted. When I removed each of them and ran them on the XP Home computer they functioned ok.
But, the good news is that I did get the issue resolved on XP Pro Computer.

Not sure which of the following cured the Problem, but under the IDE\Atap\Atapi Controller there were duplicate entries for Primary, plus Secondary IDE channels, and Standard Dual channel PCI IDE Controller.
Someone suggested that wasn't correct, and to delete & reboot and new drivers would be installed.
I opted to only uninstall the duplicate entries for each.
At the IDE/Atap/Atapi controller level, I did a scan for hardware changes which added ATA Storage Controller.
After reboot the dupe primary & scdy were regenerated (I assume for the CD/RW device).
The duplicate Standard Dual channel PCI IDE Controller disappeared.
A new Ultra ATA Storage controller was added.
Drives are functioning ok now on the XP Pro Machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users