Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying To Upgrade Ram

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ruins

Ruins

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:13 PM

I know how to work a computer, not how it works. So the idea of upgrading my RAM is a bit foreign, but I need to do it to keep up with all the new PC games coming out. I am trying to upgrade to 1GB of RAM. My dilema is that I do not know what is compatable with my system, I bought 2 512MB sticks today (they were recommened by the Geek Squad at Best Buy) but I guess they were wrong. I got it home, got it in my computer, booted up fine...and then the problem started. The monitor doesn't work. It only shows black. Yes, the monitor is plugged in and working fine (this known as when it is not connected to my computer it displays the No Signal message), but when the 2 512MBs were in it, it just DID NOT work...only black on the screen. I moved my computer to another monitor to see if maybe the monitor was dying, it again booted up fine but the problem remained...even on a diffrent monitor. When I threw my 256MB back in the monitor worked perfectly fine (shows start-up screen etc...) so I know nothing is wrong with my video card. I called Best Buy and they said that I should bring my computer in. I brought it back in and they tell me that it is not working because the sticks are not compatible. So I returned the sticks, the Geek Squad guy reffered me to newegg and said to look for something with 2100 (he was not very clear). I am desperate to upgrade and saw something on newegg that might be compatable but I really wanted to come to this forum and ask first...

-----------
My System Stats
(from what I know)

OS- Windows XP
HP Pavilion 701
AMD Antholon XP 1600+ 1.40Ghz
256MB of RAM
-----------

After looking around the net I think I have found what might be compatable but I don't know...

-----------
Supposendly Needed
184 Pin
PC2100 DDR
-----------

Now, that is all giberish to me so I went with it and searched on newegg, this is what I found...

-----------
What Was Found
pqi POWER series 1GB (2 x 512MB)
184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered
DDR 266 (PC 2100)
Dual Channel Kit System Memory

The Exact Product
-----------

My questions are ultimatly these...

-Will it be compatable with my system?

-If I do buy it and it does not work can I return it to newegg? (the website didnt really tell me unless I am blind)

-If it does not work, WHY is it not working?

Thank you very much to all who read this, I am very troubled by this issue and hope maybe you guys can shed some light...

Edited by Ruins, 11 January 2006 - 08:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bnrr

bnrr

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 12 January 2006 - 07:41 AM

Hey Ruins
When in doubt when it comes to upgrading the best way to know 100% is your
motherboard manual. it is the only thing that will that will erase all doublts.
If you do not have your manual check the manufacters website.
you will need the version and the serial number of the motherboard.
remove the cover of your system, look at the slot in which your video card is inserted
right above you will see some numbers, or name. these are the very important information
that you will need to give to the manufacture so that they can give the correct information that
you need.
another way is to get your old memory and use it as a sample so that wherever you will purchase
your new memory bank they can always compare it. (but not in the internet).
You mention that you would like to at least have 1GB of ram. with this you will at least need four
sticks of memory banks (depends on how many slots your motherboard has for memory).
all four sticks have to be the same (pairs) whether it's two or three sticks it still has to be the same
cannot be different, that is why when you installed the memory banks that you bought did not work
because one stick is different from the other. well I hope all this information will help you out

:thumbsup:

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 12 January 2006 - 02:14 PM

You can download and run Everest Home or
Belarc Diagnostic Tool to determ what RAM you have so you can compare it to what you need.
I prefer Evrest.

Edited by acklan, 12 January 2006 - 02:15 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 05:44 PM

That's weird, I think that if there was some type of problem with the RAM your motherboard would give you the beep code for the memory. It might just be something conflicting with your motherboard and the RAM. Some brands are very particular about their compatibility.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#5 I lost my Easy Button

I lost my Easy Button

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 07:44 PM

Yes your pc uses pc2100
HP Pavilion 701

#6 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 09:36 PM

I used THIS site to find my RAM upgrade

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#7 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 01:32 AM

Okay, I've done some reading on this and it looks to me like it's a problem with all HP motherboards. From what I understand their motheboards will not accept any type of RAM other than HP issued RAM. You might need to contact HP about this and see if they can help you with an upgrade.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users